-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Any way to force case sensitive searches?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:57 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I have an HQL query that works pretty well, it gets what I have requested it to find ... However,

The code which Hibernate is replacing performed case sensitive searches of the database; that is, If I have "Fred" stored in the databse and guery for "fred" it would not find that. It would only find "Fred" if I queried for "Fred".

Is there any way to force that behavior with Hibernate?

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:02 pm 
Expert
Expert

just make everything uppercase for the query.

from Table t where upper(t.name)=:name

and in your code make everything uppercase just for query use.

If you were at work doing this voluntarily, imagine what you'd want to see to answer a question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:29 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

But how does that make my queries of data in the database case sensitive? It seems to me that this just ensures case insenitivity, which is essentially what I am experiencing now.

Let me clarify: If I have stored in the database the string value, "Fred", and the user enters "fred" in the search screen, I want the search to FAIL to find anything (assuming I do not have value "fred" in the database). I want the search to succeed only if the user enters "Fred" (exact, by case).

I want to know if I can force Hibernate to behave in its queries (this specific query) in a case sensitive manner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:05 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

If I remember correctly, SQL string matching is case-insensitive, so you need to look at vendor-specific options (collation?).

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]