-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem with lazing initialization.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:38 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi I'm getting the following error: could not initialize proxy - the owning Session was closed. Funny thing is i'm getting partially my data.

Hibernate version: 3.0.5

Mapping documents:

<class name="org.mamoth.Genre" table="genres">

<cache usage="nonstrict-read-write"/>

<id name="genreID" column="GenreID" type="int" unsaved-value="0">
<generator class="assigned" />
</id>
<property name="genre" type="java.lang.String">
<column name="Genre" sql-type="varchar" length = "25" not-null="true"/>
</property>
<property name="description" type="java.lang.String">
<column name="Description" sql-type="varchar" length="100" not-null="false"/>
</property>
</class>

Code between sessionFactory.openSession() and session.close():

hSession.createCriteria(Genre.class).list();

Full stack trace of any exception that occurs:
2005-10-02 22:56:12,953 ERROR [org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException] could not initialize proxy - the owning Session was closed
org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: could not initialize proxy - the owning Session was closed
at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.initialize(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:53)
at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.getImplementation(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:84)
at org.hibernate.proxy.CGLIBLazyInitializer.intercept(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:134)
at org.mamoth.Genre$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$61dcfc7b.getGenre(<generated>)
at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.index_jsp:259)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:810)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:322)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:81)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:173)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(CustomPrincipalValve.java:39)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:153)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:407)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:59)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:856)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:744)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
2005-10-02 22:56:12,953 ERROR [org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[jboss.web].[localhost].[/mamoth].[jsp]] Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
org.hibernate.LazyInitializationException: could not initialize proxy - the owning Session was closed
at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.initialize(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:53)
at org.hibernate.proxy.AbstractLazyInitializer.getImplementation(AbstractLazyInitializer.java:84)
at org.hibernate.proxy.CGLIBLazyInitializer.intercept(CGLIBLazyInitializer.java:134)
at org.mamoth.Genre$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$61dcfc7b.getGenre(<generated>)
at org.apache.jsp.index_jsp._jspService(org.apache.jsp.index_jsp:259)
at org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:97)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:322)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:314)
at org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:264)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:252)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.filters.ReplyHeaderFilter.doFilter(ReplyHeaderFilter.java:81)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:202)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValve.java:213)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextValve.invoke(StandardContextValve.java:178)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.CustomPrincipalValve.invoke(CustomPrincipalValve.java:39)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.SecurityAssociationValve.invoke(SecurityAssociationValve.java:153)
at org.apache.catalina.authenticator.AuthenticatorBase.invoke(AuthenticatorBase.java:407)
at org.jboss.web.tomcat.security.JaccContextValve.invoke(JaccContextValve.java:59)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.java:126)
at org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.java:105)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve.java:107)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:148)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:856)
at org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.processConnection(Http11Protocol.java:744)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.processSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:527)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.net.MasterSlaveWorkerThread.run(MasterSlaveWorkerThread.java:112)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
2005-10-02 22:56:39,828 DEBUG [org.hibernate.jdbc.ConnectionManager] running Session.finalize()
2005-10-02 22:57:10,343 DEBUG [org.hibernate.jdbc.ConnectionManager] running Session.finalize()

Name and version of the database you are using: MySQL

The generated SQL (show_sql=true): false

Debug level Hibernate log excerpt:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:00 pm 
Expert
Expert

this one comes up often and the only thing you can do is retrace your steps. you'll find that you just overlooked something simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:31 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Did you have you Session opened in Servlet ? Maybe you should use 'openSessionInView' pattern to make it possible to navigate lazy-loaded hibernate objects

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:58 am 
Regular
Regular

hibernate load objects lazily. so your object will be loaded when you try to first access it and the session which actually executed this query needs to be open .

In this case, it seems that you are trying to access the object in a jsp.
What you can do is use a filter to open and close session. In this way your session will be open for your jsps also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:38 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Humm this is what I'm doing exactly... Maybe not the best way but what ever... lol Also to let you know this worked perfect . 2.1.7 but now I'm migrating to 3.0.5

Somewhere in my jsp...

<some html>
<%

GenreDAOImpl genreDAO = new MyDAOImpl();

genreDAO.getGenreList();

%>
</some html>

Within the getGenreList() I get my session

So you saying I should do this on the filter level right? This is also better for me to clean up my DAO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:41 pm 
Senior
Senior

Well to be honest, code like that in JSP makes baby Jesus cry.

Please consider something not quite as evil as dumping your DAO in JSP. There are so many alternatives, Webwork, Seam even Struts is better than doing that.

It leads to incredibly difficult to maintain pages and you'll never be able to let the average web monkey near them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:41 pm 
Regular
Regular

infectedrhythms wrote:
Humm this is what I'm doing exactly... Maybe not the best way but what ever... lol Also to let you know this worked perfect . 2.1.7 but now I'm migrating to 3.0.5

Somewhere in my jsp...

<some html>
<%

GenreDAOImpl genreDAO = new MyDAOImpl();

genreDAO.getGenreList();

%>
</some html>

Within the getGenreList() I get my session

So you saying I should do this on the filter level right? This is also better for me to clean up my DAO

where is the session opened and closed ?
are you using the threadlocal pattern ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:43 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

in hibernate 3.0 all mappings assume to have lazy="true" by default, so you need to specify lazy"false" excplisitly everywhere were you have no such attribute (as in hibernate 2.x it was defaulted to 'lazy=true')

How does you DAO controll the Session on the page ?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]