-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Old Style SQL Vs. ANSI SQL...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:10 pm 

I am Using Hibernate 3.x and Oracle 9.x.

I have this issue when I convert from native sql to ansi sql, some rows are not returned due to outer join differences. My original query in native SQL contains something like this...

tableAlias.ColumnName (+) = 1

This above table participates in outer join with other tables, when I convert this query to ANSI SQL

something like this;

Left Outer Join Tablename TableAlias on TableAlias.columnName = TableAlias.columnName

The problem is I dont know the equivalent if avilable for

tableAlias.ColumnName (+) = 1 to ANSI standard.

If I use the above condition directly, some rows are not returned, which were originally returned in the old style SQL.

Please help if someone knows a solution for this... Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:23 pm 
Expert
Expert

I think it should just be:

Code:
LEFT OUTER JOIN Tablename TableAlias ON (TableAlias.columnName = TableAlias.columnName AND TableAlias.columnName = 1)

This is an additional condition in the ON clause meaning that the candidate row is to be returned, if TableAlias.columnName is NULL or equals 1.

FYI: Using an additional condition within HQL you can use the new WITH clause (Hibernate 3.1 beta 2).

Best regards
Sven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:27 pm 

Thanks a lot, that worked!.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:42 pm 

Sven, this feature is not available in 3.0 is that what you are saying? I was hoping your solution would be availble in 3.0.5 hibernate version.

Please confirm?

Thanks a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

The HQL WITH clause, which adds "extra" restrictions to an association join, is available for Hibernate 3.1. I think you'll have to use at least beta 2.

An alternative way to do it with HQL (e.g. version 3.0):
Code:
select c1 from Clazz1 as c1
left join c1.c2 as joinedClass
where joinedClass.column is null or joinedClass.column = 1

That's not quite elegant, but it works and AFAIK there's no other solution for adding "extra" conditions to an association join with Hibernate prior to 3.1.

Best regards
Sven

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 3:18 pm 

Yes I tried that solution, but I want the one equivalen to (+), anyway, your first solution was good, I used it to write a ANSI style native SQL.. when we upgrade to hibernate 3.1 etc.. we would implement this (if the client wants).. anyway, this is good information.
thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:55 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Sorry for butting in here, but I'm curious. With Hibernate 3.1 beta 2 I'm trying to do something like this:

Code:
    <query name="DashConfigQry">
        <![CDATA[
             from DashConfig As C
                left join fetch C.selectBoxItems as ITEMS
                left join fetch C.dashTabData as DATA with DATA.clientId = :CLIENT_ID
                left join fetch C.dashNotes as NOTES with NOTES.clientId = :CLIENT_ID
             order by C.viewId, C.displayOrder, ITEMS.item
        ]]>
    </query>

And what I get in the logs is this:

Code:
Caused by:  with-clause not allowed on fetched associations; use filters

Is there no way to prefetch data using the with clause without having to use filters?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]