-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Concurrency in parent/child relationships
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:45 am 

Suppose we have a parent/child relationsship and a bidirectional mapping properly set.
When I load a parent object I also get a list of all childs. Now I want to delete the parent and all it associated childs. But in the meantime another user has added an new child to the same parent. So this child is not in the child list of my parent object.
My question: When I delete the parent, will the new child of the other user also be deleted or will Hibernate delete only those childs which are in the parents child list? How to deal with such situations?

Thanks for your help
Bruno

Post subject: Re: Concurrency in parent/child relationships
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:51 pm 
Expert
Expert

Bue wrote:
Suppose we have a parent/child relationsship and a bidirectional mapping properly set.
When I load a parent object I also get a list of all childs. Now I want to delete the parent and all it associated childs. But in the meantime another user has added an new child to the same parent. So this child is not in the child list of my parent object.
My question: When I delete the parent, will the new child of the other user also be deleted or will Hibernate delete only those childs which are in the parents child list? How to deal with such situations?

Thanks for your help
Bruno

Bruno,

If you're using cascade="delete-orphan" on the child-set, I'm 99% sure that the delete query that gets created is something like "delete from child where parentId = ?" so it would also delete the new child.

Please don't forget to give credit if/when you get helpful information.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 4:56 am 

pksiv wrote:
Bue wrote:

Thanks for your help
Bruno

Bruno,

If you're using cascade="delete-orphan" on the child-set, I'm 99% sure that the delete query that gets created is something like "delete from child where parentId = ?" so it would also delete the new child.

Thanks for your help!
I tried it out with cascade="delete-orphan". The problem now is that the parentId of the orphaned child is set to integer 0 but the child itself is not deleted. Is there another option to set?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:52 am 
Expert
Expert

Can you post your mapping files ?

Also, look at the inverse="true" attribute in the docs.

Please don't forget to give credit if/when you get helpful information.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]