-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: I want a modified timestamp that works!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:39 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I'm using 3.0.5

My entities have a modified timestamp on them. I've been setting it in an Interceptor in the methods onSave() and onFlushDirty(). Unfortunately, that fails me in one case... when a parent entity is updated, and only a collection has been modified, onFlushDirty() is never called.

I suppose what I want is for the entity passed to session.update() to have it's modified timestamp touched whenever the session.update() method will result in some SQL.

To cover the likely suggestions... I've tried implementing Lifecycle (which has the same problem). I've also tried using a <timestamp> property in my hbm.xml files. This actually solves my problem, but introduces another!

The problem it introduces for me is that hibernate will now version-check my changes for stale updates. I'd actually prefer a last-update-wins strategy, but I can't seem to figure out how to ask hibernate to maintain a version timestamp for me, but ignore the property when updating.

Has anyone tackled this?

Thanks in advance.
Phill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:15 am 
CGLIB Developer
CGLIB Developer

Just use trigger for this stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:52 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I suppose I could accomplish this with a trigger, but I would need them on join tables, and child tables as well. They'd all have to update the parent entity. Anyways, it's not a bad suggestion and I guess it would work... but I'd rather keep this kind of logic out of my database.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]