-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bidirectional association without an inverse end
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:22 pm 

What happens if I map a bidirection association, and don't mark either end as inverse? Here's my scenario:

I have a Contact and a ContactGroup managed objects. A ContactGroup can have many contacts, and each contact can be in many groups. So I've mapped a <many-to-many> association on both ends.

The end user will be able to edit this association from both ends: he can either edit a group, and than add users to it, or edit an user, and add groups to it. What I really want is be able to do both:

contact.getGroups().add(someGroup);

OR

group.getContacts().add(someContact);

And have either of those statements update the relationship table at flush time. In other words, I don't want to bother about which end manages the association -- I want both ends to do it. It seems to work right now, but I'm not sure of the consequences. Any words about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:27 pm 
Senior
Senior

If you add to both ends, you will get a uniqueness constraint violation (or the row will be inserted twice if you don't have a constraint).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:33 pm 

Nebob wrote:
If you add to both ends, you will get a uniqueness constraint violation (or the row will be inserted twice if you don't have a constraint).

Hmm, if this is the only problem, I guess I'll leave the relationship mapped this way. The way the application works, I'll never modify both ends of the relationship in the same transaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:43 pm 
Senior
Senior

I do something similar so that delete-orphan cascades work from both ends of a many-to-many. I haven't found any serious problem with it.

However, for your situation, you'd be better advised writing some addXXX helper methods that automatically set up both ends of the association:

class Bar:

public void addFoo(Foo foo)
{
foos.add(foo);
foo.getBars().add(this);
}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:56 pm 

Thanks, Nebob. I'll consider adding something like this.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]