-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Question about lazy loading
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:20 am 

Hi,
Lets say I load an Object which is a root of a large relationships tree, some of it is retrieved in lazy mode.
Would the relationship expand also after I close the session?

I am asking this because I am working on a Web-App, in which there is a big amount data with complex relationships. This data does not change, and it would be better if I can retrieve it once, put it in the application context and use it from all servlet requests.

Cheers,
Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:27 am 
Regular
Regular

Once the session is closed you will receive an error to the effect of "LazyInitializationException: unable to lazily initialize a collection (no session or session closed)". The object is "detached" at that point and must be re-attached to become persistent.

You have to explicitly re-attach the object to a new session using session.lock( object, LockMode.NONE ) or session.update( object ) in order to continue using lazy initialization.

There are some strategies for handling this on the wiki:

http://hibernate.org/42.html
http://hibernate.org/168.html

I also highly recommend Hibernate in Action...I did not fully understand the implications of my design decisions until I read that book, and it covers long user transactions in greate detail.

- Jesse
[/url]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]