-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adding timestamp to many-to-many relationship tables
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:57 pm 

Hello Hibernate community,

I have a Hibernate32 question that has exceeded my meager abilities. I have a join table that I use to map Users to Channels in a many-to-many relationship as per the code below. Has worked pretty well for us so far, the join table has just two columns, user_id and channel_id, and hibernate manages that relationship for me whenever we add or remove Channels to the channels collection.

However, now I have a new business requirement that requires that I keep track of WHEN that relationship was established. The most direct way to do this would be to add a created_time column to subscriber_channel_rt and somehow convince Hibernate to manage this column when it adds or removes channels to a user.

However, I'm unclear about how to convince Hibernate to do such a thing, or even if its possible at all. Does anyone have any suggestions about good ways to proceed? So far the best solution I can think of is to bypass hibernate entirely and use MySQL triggers to manage the created_time column, and direct SQL to query on that time, but I'm hoping there might be a more Hibernate-like way...

Thanks so much,
Mike

PS. bonus points for avoiding ugly migrations

Code:
import javax.persistence.*;

@Entity
public class User
{
   // Subscribed channels
    protected List<Channel> channels;

@ManyToMany
    @JoinTable(name="subscriber_channel_rt",
               joinColumns={@JoinColumn(name="user_id")},
        inverseJoinColumns={@JoinColumn(name="channel_id")})
    @OrderBy(clause="channel1_.name")
    public List<Channel> getChannels()
    {
        return channels;
    }

public void setChannels(List<Channel> channels)
    {
        this.channels = channels;
    }

}

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:11 pm 

Just thought I'd check in and see if anyone had a suggestion on this one. (In short, how to add a created timestamp to a many-to-many relationship table. See original post below)

Any ideas?

Cheers
Mike

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]