-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate Mapping - Cross platform development
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:06 am 

Morning, People.

I'm starting with Hibernate 3.0, and I have a doubt.

I'm trying to develop a system that could be used in various DB engines (Oracle, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, MySQL).

I've already read the Hibernate documentation, about mapping the id column in database. I use sequences, in Oracle and Postgre, and auto-increment columns, in MS SQL Server and MySQL. So, I should use the "native" generator class, as the documentation says.

But, how could I tell Hibernate what sequence it should gets the id?

Thanks for helping me.

Buosi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:12 pm 
Regular
Regular

Why not use one of the other generators available in org.hibernate.id, such as MultipleHiLoPerTableGenerator or TableHiLoGenerator? Both of these generators have the advantage of removing any dependency on the underlying database for primary key generation and are very performant if you set max_lo to something > 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:38 pm 

Ok, I've read about it in Hibernate Documentation, but it says that HiLo couldn't be used when the user supplies the connection. What does it mean?

I use Tomcat pooling for my connections. Will it work with HiLo?

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:56 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I haven't used HiLo myself so I can't guarantee anything, but normally a "user supplied connection" means that you're manually using Session.disconnect() and Session.reconnect(Connection) on all your sessions instead of letting the session deal with the JDBC connections automatically. Since you're using a tomcat connection pool I don't think you're doing user supplied connection management.

HiLo should work for you I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:02 pm 

Ok, I understood, I'll test.

Thanks for everybody.
Carlos Buosi.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]