-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Caching null values?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:33 pm 

I have two classes with one-to-one mappings between them. The User class is read-write. Every user *might* have a Status object. The STATUS table is populated externally (by an stored database procedure) and is read-only as far as my application is concerned.

Both User and Status are cached.

My question is: is there a way to cache the fact that a particular user does not have a Status? I have a page that loads 5 users. 2 of these users do not have a corresponding row in the STATUS table. The first time the page loads I see 5 queries for Status. The second time (and each subsequent time) there are 2 queries for the Status object.

I'd like to remember the fact that Status is missing for those 2 Users and only check again when the cache entry expires.

Is this possible? If not, has anyone come up with a way to do this?

thanks
sam

ps - The User cache timeout is very long as they change very infrequently. The Status cache timeout is much shorter as it changes more frequently (via a stored procedure). The Status class is also lazy... as I frequently don't even care about it.

Hibernate version: 2.1.7

Mapping documents:
Code:
<class name="User" table="USER">
  <cache usage="read-write"/>
  <id name="id" column="USER_ID">
    <generator class="sequence">
      <param name="sequence">USER_SEQ</param>
    </generator>
  </id>
  <property name="firstName" column="FIRST_NAME" type="string"/>
  <property name="lastName" column="LAST_NAME" type="string"/>
  <one-to-one name="status" class="Status"/>
</class>

<class name="Status" table="STATUS" lazy="true">
  <cache usage="read-only"/>
  <id name="id" column="USER_ID">
    <generator class="foreign">
      <param name="property">user</param>
    </generator>
  </id>
  <property name="currentStatus" column="STATUS" type="string"/>
  <one-to-one name="user" class="User" constrained="true"/>
</class>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]