-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Adding objects to collections belonging to a detached object
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:19 am 

Hibernate version: 2.1.6

I have objects A and B, connected by a many-to-many relationship A_B. I'm using a Swing GUI to manipulate data, i.e. load an object of type A including the relationship to B, display in the GUI, and then allow the user to add and delete relationship objects A_B from the loaded object A. Because of the Swing GUI I am not keeping the sessions open, but rather open and close only when directly interacting with the DB.

Here is what I currently do when adding:
- create a new instance of A_B
- add the corresponding object A and object B to the new instance of A_B
- open a session
- save new instance of A_B
- close the session
- open a session
- refresh the object A (session.refresh) and reload the collection of A_B relationships
- close session
- update GUI, so that the new A_B instance is also displayed as part of the collection of A

What I tried and didn't work:
- after saving the new instance of A_B, "manually" add A_B to the collection in A. When I do this, I will get problems later when continuing to work with A (the problem is when I try to do a session.lock(A, LockMode.NONE) to reattach the object to the session, Hibernate complains about "dirty collection").

Questions:
- what is the proper way to add or delete an object A_B related to A, particularly do I have to "manually" add the new A_B instance to the collection (in my case a Set) managed by A (but without provoking "dirty collection" exceptions later)?
- is there a proper way to reload / re-initialize a collection from the database (just the collection, not the whole object which contains the collection)? In my case the object A might be loaded with several related collections, so doing a full refresh might be rather costly, which is why I'm not really happy with the refresh-approach outlined above.

thanks in advance
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:14 am 

bumping the thread, hoping to get some input...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:20 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

It depends on how these are mapped bi-directional and whether they are cached. The safest bet is to update all sides of the assocations you have defined to Hibernate. Typically this would mean something like:
Code:
A_B ab = new A_B();
ab.setA(a);
ab.setB(b);
a.getBs.add(ab);
b.getAs.add(ab);

or more succintly from client perspective:
Code:
A_B ab = new A_B(a, b);

// where :

public A_B(A a, B b) {
    this.setA(a);
    this.setB(b);
    a.getBs.add(this);
    b.getAs.add(this);
}

Quote:
- after saving the new instance of A_B, "manually" add A_B to the collection in A.

Specifically, this should be done before saving the new instance of A_B...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:13 am 

Thanks for the feedback!

steve wrote:
It depends on how these are mapped bi-directional and whether they are cached. The safest bet is to update all sides of the assocations you have defined to Hibernate. Typically this would mean something like:
Code:
A_B ab = new A_B();
ab.setA(a);
ab.setB(b);
a.getBs.add(ab);
b.getAs.add(ab);

So the question boils down to: which objects do I have to save / update after having done the adds. When I only insert ab (the new A_B object), then I will get later the "dirty collection" exception. However, when I update a and b, then even though no attributes have changed for these rows, they will get an incremented version or timestamp, which is a problem for me. Am I doing something wrong?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]