-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: 2nd level cache and subclasses
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 10:27 am 

Hello!

I am trying to figure out how the second level cache handles subclasses.

I was a bit surprised that the <cache>-attribute is only allowed for <class>-entries but not for e.g. <joined-subclass> entries. I did search the forum without finding an answer why this is not allowed. But i guess there's a good reason for it which i did not see yet - can someone tell me about it?

Accepting that <cache>-settings are only possible for the top level classes, i wondered how the subclasses are handled. My experiments seem to show the following:

- an entry like <cache name="net.package.classname" .../> in the cache configuration is only evaluated for the top level class which has the cache attribute. Derived classes use the same setting as the top level class.

- all instances of the subclasses are cached in the same region, so it is not possible to configure caching subclass specific.

Am i correct with these two observations?
Is there no way to configure caching individually for the subclasses?

Thanks for your answers!
Sebastian

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]