-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: INFO log level
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:21 am 

I guess its handy during development to have elevated log levels:-

Code:
16:43:20,062 INFO  [HibernateContextHelper] Generating Hibernate session for scoped bind [java:/hibernate/SessionFactory]
16:43:20,062 INFO  [HibernateContextHelper] Unbinding Hibernate session from scoped bind [java:/hibernate/SessionFactory]

Perhaps this development is far enough along to not require this now ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:24 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Perhaps those really should just be DEBUG level messages. I'll go back and reconsider all that b4 calling this stuff *done*. Not sure though. My definition of INFO is "interesting event", for which I think binding/unbinding, session-creation/close still qualify.

I think the default log level in jboss for its internal stuff is INFO for the log-file and WARN for the console. Is that not correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:44 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

steve wrote:
I think the default log level in jboss for its internal stuff is INFO for the log-file and WARN for the console. Is that not correct?

Not precisely. from log4j.xml:
Code:
   <!-- ============================== -->
   <!-- Append messages to the console -->
   <!-- ============================== -->

<appender name="CONSOLE" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
      <errorHandler class="org.jboss.logging.util.OnlyOnceErrorHandler"/>
      <param name="Target" value="System.out"/>
      <param name="Threshold" value="INFO"/>

Binding/unbinding stuff seems very routine and not interesting (since it works properly ;)

I'd also vote for DEBUG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 12:39 am 

Its debug. Specifically its debug because of the sheer volume of them. Info is used for deployments/undeployments as they are the interesting events. Every EJB invocation is hopefully uninteresting.

Possibly some of the logging could use the trace level used within JBoss. Also, all the debug/trace logging should be updated to use the isDebugEnabled as per standard practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:42 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

isDebugEnabled is really only used/needed if the message to be logged is expensive to generate; the pivot being the expense of performing the isDebugEnabled check vs the message construction. Most of these messages are simple string logging.

Anyway, like I said before, when this is all complete I will go back and evaluate the logging.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]