-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Performing joins on related tables in a mapping?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:12 am 

Hi,

We are working with a legacy framework that permits us to manipulate DB schema to a degree, but the incoming data relationships and the outgoing data relationships are generally fixed. Basically, I'd like to express a simple inner join in my mappings like this:

Code:
select tier2.*,tier1.tier1_desc from tier2, tier1 where tier2.tier1_id=tier1.tier1_id

So the above is what I am really interested in representing in my mappings. The actual mappings I'm using are as follows:

Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
    <class
        entity-name="tier1"
        table="tier1"
        node="tier1">

<id name="tier1_id" type="long"/>
      <property name="tier1_desc" type="string"/>
    </class>

<class
        entity-name="tier2"
        table="tier2"
        node="tier2">

<id name="id" type="long">
         <generator class="native"/>
      </id>
      <natural-id>
         <property name="tier2_id" type="long"/>
         <many-to-one name="tier1_id" entity-name="tier1"/>
      </natural-id>
      <property name="tier2_desc" type="string"/>
    </class>

<class
        entity-name="tier3"
        table="tier3"
        node="tier3">

<id name="id" type="long">
         <generator class="native"/>
      </id>
      <natural-id>
         <property name="tier3_id" type="long"/>
         <many-to-one name="tier1_id" entity-name="tier1"/>
         <many-to-one name="tier2_id" entity-name="tier2"/>
      </natural-id>
      <property name="tier3_desc" type="string"/>
    </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

My goal is to express joins in my mappings so that a query on tier2 pulls the description from tier1 and a query on tier3 pulls the description from tier1 and tier2.

If this is too complex for a mapping (ie. it is not within the conceptual scope of Hibernate's mapping framework), I may be forced to resort to direct HQL queries ... but it would be nice to represent these things as objects in a mapping, because then I get that DB -> XML/object relationship. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:53 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I am not clear what exactly you want to do. If you solution in terms of mapping only, then create a view in database which has same columns and data which you want. Now in mapping file you can map this view to your class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:59 am 

Yeah -- thanks for the suggestion -- I actually thought about the view option, but was curious if it could be expressed within the mapping itself.

Playing around with these mappings this morning, I realized that I hadn't really set up the class relationships correctly. A revised set of mappings:

Code:
<hibernate-mapping>
    <class
        entity-name="tier1"
        table="tier1"
        node="tier1">

<id name="tier1_id" type="long"/>
      <property name="tier1_desc" type="string"/>
    </class>

<class
        entity-name="tier2"
        table="tier2"
        node="tier2">

<composite-id>
         <key-property name="tier2_id" type="long"/>
         <key-property name="tier1_id" type="long"/>
      </composite-id>

<property name="id" type="long" insert="false" update="false"/>
      <property name="tier2_desc" type="string"/>

<many-to-one name="tier1" entity-name="tier1" column="tier1_id" update="false" insert="false"/>

</class>

<class
        entity-name="tier3"
        table="tier3"
        node="tier3">

<composite-id>
         <key-property name="tier3_id" type="long"/>
         <key-property name="tier2_id" type="long"/>
         <key-property name="tier1_id" type="long"/>
      </composite-id>

<property name="id" type="long" insert="false" update="false"/>
      <property name="tier3_desc" type="string"/>

<many-to-one name="tier2" entity-name="tier1" update="false" insert="false">
          <column name="tier2_id"/>
          <column name="tier1_id"/>
      </many-to-one>

</class>
</hibernate-mapping>

The above is a more accurate representation of the relationship between tier1, tier2 and tier3. So the first problem is the join issue, where I wanted a nice way to express the join in the mapping. The <many-to-one> references in tier2 and tier3 sort of achieve this, in that I can now access the information I need through the many-to-one relationship. I could alternatively modify the classes slightly to support views for tier2 and tier3, which would also work.

However, now that I am using composite-id's, I no longer have my nice identity column "id" expressed as a <generator>. I still need that identity column, so it is now represented as a <property>, but I do not seem to have a way of expressing (in a mapping) that it is an identity column, but not a primary key.

Right now, I am generating the tables using SQL, where the "id" column is created as:
Code:
[id] [int] IDENTITY (1, 1) NOT NULL

but I do not see a way of expressing this in a mapping when "id" is not a primary key on the table.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]