-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: many-to-one from parent
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:58 am 

[b]Hibernate version: 2.1[/b]

I need to have a many-to-one relationship between Company and Person.
(Don't ask why, I need to display the two records in specific places on the view, and many other reasons).

Now, i need to do something like this with my bean:

[Class Company]
private Person priPerson;
private Person secPerson;
private String priPid;
private String secPid;

... getter & setters ...

where priPid & secPid keeps the relationship for the two Person's related to Company.

The only (relevant) values stored in the Company record is the 2xId's of the Person record.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 7:23 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/reference/en/html/mapping.html#mapping-declaration-manytoone

Post subject: many-to-one from parent (little more complex)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:46 am 

I've read the document many times, and the one reffered to from the Forum page on Parent/Child relationships. I'm afraid they don't give a solution to my perticular problem.

The documents suggests a many-to-one defenition from the parent point of view and a one-to-many relationship from the childs point of view... not true.

Company one has [b]TWO[/b] child entries for People.
One People can be the child of multiple Company entries.

So I'm not storing the Company Key in the People record, I'm storing [b]TWO[/b] People Key's in the Company record.
Company bean:
[code]
private Person priPerson;
private Person secPerson;
private String priPid;
private String secPid;
//(priPerson & secPerson is not stored in Company table, only their key's priPid & secPid)
[/code]

I can see this moving to a many-to-many direction, but that's unnecessary overhead (another table to maintain) and I will need overhead code in my bean just to put the People entry in the correct variable, since I need primary and secondary to be distinct. (Pri can't be the first record found according to the key's, it has to be in the possition according to the key for Pri).[/b][/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:18 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

You do need many-to-one, twice, in the parent.

Code:
       <many-to-one name='priPerson' class=Person' column='Pri_Person_id' unique='true'/>
       <many-to-one name='secPerson' class=Person' column='Sec_Person_id' unique='true'/>

Then your Company table has two foreign keys, Pri_Person_id and Sec_person_id, to the primary key of the Person table.

The Person mapping would list relationship to the Company.

I had nearly the same exact situation, and it worked for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:19 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Sorry, I dropped a word there:

Quote:
The Person mapping would list <b>NO</b> relationship to the Company.
[/quote]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]