-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Collections and Bi-directional relationship
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 4:12 am 

Hi

I've just started using Hibernate so this may appear as a naive question.

Let say I have 2 data objects: Server and Log.
a Server can have many logs and a Log belongs to one Server only.

Server has a serverId (sequence in PostgreSQL) and a Set getLogs() method. The method getLogs() uses lazy loading.
Log has a logId (sequence in PostgreSQL) and a Server getServer() method.

Now what's the best or recommended (for performance reason or correctness) way to create a new Log?
a)
Code:
server.getLogs().add(new Log());
session.update(server);

b)
Code:
Log log = new Log();
log.setServer(server);
session.save(log);

Also my understanding is that once a Server object is retrieved from the db and providing we're in session a call to getLogs() will lazy load the Set of Logs. Isn't that a performance hit when at some point the Set of Logs for a Server object will be huge?
I could probably have the same result by retrieving all Logs belonging to a Server with a from... where query.

It's far less obvious that I thought to break away from SQLish thinking ;)

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 6:11 am 
Regular
Regular

For correctness:

Code:
Log log = new Log();
log.setServer(server);
server.getLogs().add(log);

For performance, this is far less obvious. Problem with this code is that adding a new log will load the entire set. If you are going to have lots of logs, I would personally not map this relation as bidirectional but only from the many-to-one side. Have a look at the docs chapter 14.

About the call to getLogs(), you are nearly correct: it is only when you call a method of the returned set that the collection will be loaded.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]