-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bulk delete with native SQL problem
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:44 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello!

I have a problem with a native SQL "Query" which is actually no query (i.e. a SELECT statement), but rather a DELETE statement.

I have to delete a lot of entries of a database. My first try was something like
Code:
Query q = session.createQuery("from Cat cat where cat.id<1000");
for (Iterator i = q.iterate(); i.hasNext(); ) {
  session.delete(i.next());
}

With this approach, all the cat objects that are to be deleted will be loaded first, which results in bad performance (there seem to be different opinions whether this is good or not). So I tried to use another approach with native SQL queries:

Code:
Query q = session.createQuery("from Cat cat where cat.id<1000");
for (Iterator i = q.iterate(); i.hasNext(); ) {
  Query delQuery = session.createSQLQuery("delete from cat {cat} where cat.id=:id", "cat", Cat.class);
  delQuery.setLong("id", ((Cat)i.next()).getId());
  delQuery.list(); // Ooops!
}

Now, this code crashes, because finally I end up with a JDBC Statement.executeQuery("delete ..."), which is of course wrong: It should be Statement.execute() instead.

Is there another possibility except Session.list() and Session.iterate() to execute a query, which results in a Statement.execute() instead of a Statement.executeQuery()?

Or can this be done in another, efficient way?

Thanks!
Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:26 am 
Senior
Senior

Use session.connection() and execute via JDBC. There is no way to do bulk insert/update/delete though the hibernate framework.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:46 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Okay.

One more question: Is there any way to get the name of the mapped table when I have a Session object and the Class object of the mapped class? I could get a ClassMetadata object, but that does not seem not to contain the desired information. I think I have to get a PersistentClass object. Does anybody know how to get that?

Thanks,
Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:50 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Beware, bad hack: http://www.gloegl.de/26.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:25 am 
Beginner
Beginner

I have now decided to hard code the table name... Bad, but that seems to be the only option (besides a bad hack ;-)

One more question: When I get a direct JDBC Connection via session.connection(), do I have to bear something in mind? Like closing, not closing, returning it to the Session, etc?

Christian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:53 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Don't do anyhing withit, just close the session at the end.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]