-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Possible to have Hibernate hydrate objects with Factory?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:14 am 
Regular
Regular

Gavin/Christian/et al.

In lieu of the default constructors, is it possible (in some manner) to create a plugin or adapter that would hydrate objects from the database using a specified Factory vs. the default constructors?

I'm interested in this because I'd like to have the objects be retrieved from a database as an XML entity using xmlbeans.

See this post from the xmlbeans-dev mailing list for one of the more recent posts about how XMLbeans requires objects to be created.

I volunteered to take a look at this topic for the XMLbeans group. I'm not sure that I'm most qualified to do it, but I do have a lot of interest in: 1. binding xml documents that satisfy a given schema to a java object and subsequently back to a relational store (using hibernate).

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:53 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

This is not possible right now. Maybe it's a good feature.

Post subject: Thanks, but...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:59 pm 
Regular
Regular

Thanks emmanuel.

I'm interested in changing the object creation behavior of the elements in Hibernate: how they're created and where they're created from.

e.g. If I ask for:

Code:
select foo from com.paraware.Foo as foo

and foo is related to bar and baz and lazy init is false, then I suspect hibernate does this:

Object foo = Class.forName.newInstance("com.paraware.Foo");
// figure out the properties of foo are and then:

Object bar = Class.forName.newInstance("com.paraware.Bar");
foo.setBar(bar);
// find the properties of bar and

Object baz = Class.forName.newInstance("com.paraware.Baz");
bar.setBaz(baz);

etc.

Obviously hibernate uses cglib and reflection to do this sort of thing (i.e. it's not hardcoded as in my example), but I am curious how it navigates the graph and where object creation takes place.

I'm interested to specify that for certain objects, hibernate be allowed to use either a factory or a creation method (newXXX) from the parent within the graph as in:

Foo foo = Foo.Factory.newIntance(); // use the Factory and newInstance method to create new objects
Bar bar = Foo.newBar(); // use the newBar() method of Foo to create and set Bar objects
Bar.setBaz( 123 );

I'm not sure how this plays into collections, etc, but I was wondering if it was possible, where a good entry point might be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:59 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

This is totally doable. In fact you have two options:
1) create a custom ClassPersister implementation;
2) create a custom Interceptor implementation, specifically the Interceptor.instantiate() method will be of interest to you...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]