-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: OracleDialect and timestamp
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 4:46 pm 

From the Manual:

5.2.2. Basic value types

date, time, timestamp

Type mappings from java.util.Date and its subclasses to SQL types DATE, TIME and TIMESTAMP (or equivalent).

Looking at the src, OracleDialect uses date for each of these. Why do time and timestamp use date instead of their respective SQL types?

TIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 6:48 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Because Oracle 8i (for which the OracleDialect is targetted) makes no distinction between any of those. It always stores these as full date time. Not sure if this changed in 9i or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 11:04 pm 

The date datatype is precise to the second where the timestamp datatype is precise to the millisecond.

FYI, I've been able to sub-class the OracleDialect class and change it to timestamp and everything appears to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:33 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
The date datatype is precise to the second where the timestamp datatype is precise to the millisecond.

Thats untrue. java.sql.Timestamp is supposed to be precise to the nanosecond (which Oracle DATEs do not support). java.sql.Date is supposed to be have all of its time fields set to zero.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 12:40 pm 

I was refering to Oracle date and timestamp not Java.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:25 am 

I stumbled into the same problems in Version 2.1.2. In Version 2.1.4 the mapping still is the same:

Code in constructor of Oracle9Dialect
Code:
      registerColumnType( Types.DATE, "DATE" );
      registerColumnType( Types.TIME, "DATE" );
      registerColumnType( Types.TIMESTAMP, "DATE" );

From the OracleDocuments at [url]http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/A91202_01/901_doc/server.901/a90125/sql_elements2.htm#54201
[/url]
DATE : Valid date range from January 1, 4712 BC to December 31, 9999 AD.

TIMESTAMP (fractional_seconds_precision) : Year, month, and day values of date, as well as hour, minute, and second values of time, where fractional_seconds_precision is the number of digits in the fractional part of the SECOND datetime field. Accepted values of fractional_seconds_precision are 0 to 9. The default is 6.

Thus oracle offers nanosecond precision.

I fixed it by subclassing with a constructor:

Code:
public MyDialect() {
  super() ;
  registerColumnType( Types.DATE, "TIMESTAMP(3)" );
}

as I just needed the java.util.Date equivalent.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]