-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: one-to-one n+1 SQL query problem
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 4:28 pm 

I've got a little one-to-one problem.
I've got two classes with one-to-one relationship. For example: User and ContactInfo. Classes are bound together with primary keys. Relationship is uni-directional to be only possible to call user.getContactInfo(). Mapping for User looks as follows:

Code:
<one-to-one name="contactInfo" cascade="all" constrained="true" class="ContactInfo"/>

I've set outer join fetching ON and, so the load of a single user results in one SQL query joining User and ContactInfo tables. That's correct. But if I'd like all users with status=0, this HQL query results in n+1 SQL queries.

Code:
select user
from User as user
where user.status=0

First it selects all Users with status=0 and than selects for each User all data from User joining ContactInfo. If I change the HQL query a little, result is only one SQL query, but the resultset is a Collection of arrays (User and its ContactInfo).

Code:
select user, user.contactInfo
from User as user
where user.status=0

I know I can separate it in Java code, but I think there is much more elegant solution.

Thank for help. Sorry if this is a common problem, I wasn't able to find it here.

Pavel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 6:01 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Use left join fetch in your HQL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 8:59 am 

Is this 'left join fetch' supposed to work with 'key-many-to-one' relationships ? It seems not.
I also have this problem about n+1 SQL queries.

I tried to activate the proxies, but nothing changed.
A solution would be to use a different PK, and change the 'key-many-to-one' to a more simple 'many-to-one' relationship. (I wouldn't like this solution, since the db model would not be as smart and clean as it should be.)

Sadly, there's not much documentation about this key-many-to-one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 12:30 pm 

Thank you very much. That is exactly what I needed. Now my HQL looks like this:

Code:

select user
from User as user left join fetch user.contactInfo

avel

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]