-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Calling size() on List causes multiple SELECTs
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:06 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,

I have Hibernate queries returning Lists of my POJOs from DB.
I would like to check the size of the returned List, so I can use it for "showing XXX matches" messages in my application.

I can call size() on returned Lists and get that count, but that causes Hibernate to load each POJO by running a separate SELECT for each POJO in the List. This is, obviously, bad, and I am wondering if there is a way to instruct Hibernate not to do that when I call size()?

If that cannot be done, how do people handle situations like this?

Do you just have 2 DB calls, one with COUNT(*) returning the count as Integer, and the second one that that actually returns the List?

I am using Hibernate 2.1.1.

Thanks,
Otis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:30 pm 
Regular
Regular

try this:

How can I find the size of a collection without initializing it?

( (Integer) s.createFilter( collection, "select count(*)" ).iterate().next() ).intValue()

in the FAQ:

http://www.hibernate.org/118.html#A4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:53 am 
Beginner
Beginner

lagcisco wrote:
try this:

How can I find the size of a collection without initializing it?

( (Integer) s.createFilter( collection, "select count(*)" ).iterate().next() ).intValue()

in the FAQ:

http://www.hibernate.org/118.html#A4

Yes, I have tried that.
However, that requires me that I change all return types from my DAOs from List to some object that includes both the List and the Integer count. :(

Or, I guess, this could be a generic method that just returns size of any collection?

Thanks,
Otis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:54 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

eh ?! What can be more generic than ( (Integer) s.createFilter( collection, "select count(*)" ).iterate().next() ).intValue()

It takes a collection into parameter.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]