-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Please move the docs back, someone broke Google.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:45 pm 

I have a hibernate site search set up and apparently someone moved the docs around on the hibernate site. All the google to hibernate doc links are broken now, and I guess I need to wait until the next google index and take a productivity hit.

Or alternatively, someone could make the google links work again.

This has to be a major, if not the major, way people get to this documentation. PLEASE try not to break those links.

Regards,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:45 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I tried, but we had to do this if we want international documentation. Sorry, but there is really no way to prevent that.

It will take another one or two weeks and then Google will have the new URLs. Why don't you grab the PDF or single HTML file and 'grep' yourself?

Post subject: hmm
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:21 pm 

Interesting that it's impossible to do this - looking at your directory structure, wouldn't you just leave a copy of the english documents under html, and stay backward-compatible until google re-indexes?

Sure I could grep, but it's more a matter of what's easiest (why can't I use the world's greatest search tool?). Hibernate docs are well written and well-organized in any case so it's not as crippling as losing doc search of another open-source project would be. Still, I'm much more productive when I can google site search.

Sun pulled this on me with the java api docs a couple weeks ago. It's strange that people aren't more conscious of (probably) the #1 way most people surf into their site. I think I saw some statistics a while ago from Jacob Nielsen that a majority of users don't even visit homepages on certain types of sites anymore (database/documentation-oriented especially).

Regards,
Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:23 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

We can't, as the internal structure of the document was also updated, chaptes rearranged, etc. This happens once a year...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]