-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Component question
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:25 am 
Regular
Regular

I have a class Person which has a relation to PhoneNumber. The latter has to be a component. Person has two methods for the relation:

Quote:
public PhoneNumber getBusinessPhoneNumber()
and
public PhoneNumber getPrivatePhoneNumber()

PhoneNumber contains String attribute phoneNumberNational and country attribute, which is a Business Object.

I cannot beat the mapping problem with this:
Quote:
/**
* @hibernate.component
* @return
*/
public PhoneNumber getBusinessPhoneNumber() {
return businessPhoneNumber;
}

/**
* @hibernate.component
* @return
*/
public PhoneNumber getPrivatePhoneNumber() {
return privatePhoneNumber;
}
Code:

It results in only adding only two columns to the PERSON table: country and phoneNumberNational. But it should add two more columns, since I have a businessPhoneNumber and a privatePhoneNumber.

Can someone please tell me whats wrong? Or can someone tell me a full code example which solves the thing which I want to do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:38 am 
Regular
Regular

I posted a bug report to the xdoclet jira last spring about this. The answer I got from Gavin was IIRC, given the architecture of xdoclet, the problem is not fixable.

I ended up mapping the component separately and using a one-to-one association between them. It works, although there is almost certainly a performance loss, but at least in my case it's too small to notice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:46 am 
Regular
Regular

joib wrote:
I posted a bug report to the xdoclet jira last spring about this. The answer I got from Gavin was IIRC, given the architecture of xdoclet, the problem is not fixable.

I ended up mapping the component separately and using a one-to-one association between them. It works, although there is almost certainly a performance loss, but at least in my case it's too small to notice.

Can you please show me a code example of your solution?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:10 am 
Regular
Regular

Forget about it. Now I know what you mean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:37 am 
Regular
Regular

I think I need your source code example. It does not work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:56 am 
Regular
Regular

Sorry, I meant to say many-to-one association. one-to-one is somewhat useless, while many-to-one is what you want when you want something whose semantics are similar to normal java references. Anyway, in your example it would be:

/**
* @hibernate.many-to-one
* class="com.foo.PhoneNumber"
* column="businessphonenumber_id"
* cascade="all"
*/
public PhoneNumber getBusinessPhoneNumber() {
return businessPhoneNumber;
}

And a similar thing for the private number (remember to use another column name for that!).

You also have to map the PhoneNumber class to the database.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:29 pm 
Regular
Regular

Now it works, thank you. Normally its a one-to-one relation and not a many-to-one relation. But as you said, one-to-one causes problems.

Maybe XDoclet 2 will have no problems with making component relations.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]