-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Multiple DataSources with Hibernate
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:04 am 

I wonder , if i can use more than one datasource with Hibernate simulteniously.

I'll explain:
we have two dirrenet tablespaces : for Users and for Products.

We want to use common object model. So the question is: can Hibernate support 2 datasources and keep track data integrity?

If yes, how can i configure it for it?
If no, would be such support included in next versions of Hibernate?

We are using Hibernate 2.1.

Thank a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:12 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You can use two SessionFactorys with different datasources. You can not have object relationships across different databases, and there are no plans to support it. You can however use different schemas for different classes (if you use mysql you can use that feature to do use mutliple databases (on the same server)).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:07 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hibernate, itself, does not have support for this.

You might want to look at something like C-JDBC for support of this. I am currently in planning phase of an app for which I am going to try this out; I've been watching that project pretty closely for a while and have been wanting to try it out. This app needs to read data from both a SQLServer and an Oracle datasource. C-JDBC is supposed to handle this for you seemlessly.

Just a thought...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 1:15 pm 
Regular
Regular

Just an option-
If you are using oracle, you could create a dblink to the tables so hibernate sees them as 1 database.

--James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:55 am 

>steve
it's interesting idea, i took a look at C-JDBC - and it seems quite good for our needs.

Now i'm interesting do you have any expirience using it with Hibernate? does it really supports data integrity betweem tables that are in different datasources?

Some troubles/hints with using C-JDBC? perfomance?

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:57 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Nope not yet. To date I've been lucky enough that all the multi-db stuff has all been Oracle, so I just use DBLINKS / SYNONYMS between the different Oracle databases.

But I have a requirement for an app that I've prototyped using an Oracle database, but in actuality will need to "federate" data from an Oracle db and a SQLServer db. So give me two or three weeks and I'll have some experiences and stories, I'm sure :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]