-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Questions to the Hibernate Team
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:54 pm 
Regular
Regular

How much time do you spend anwering all those questions per day?

Are you paid for that job?

Do you feel its not very interesting to answer beginner questions?

What is a beginner to you? How much experience with Hibernate does someone have in order be a beginner?

Do you think that it is more likely for a beginner to ask a question which has not yet been answered somewhere in a documentation file or on the internet than for a non beginner?

Is it allowed to ask a question which has been answered somewhere before?

How much time a beginner is supposed to spend searching somewhere else for an answer before he ask his question in the hibernate beginner forum?

Why are you so quick with answering questions in this forum? Why don't you let users help users? If you are so quick, users will never help users. Always the Hibernate Team will help users. I think users don't get so fast annoyed by beginner questions like the experienced Hibernate Team, or at least some of this team.

Post subject: questions to the hibernate team
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:59 pm 

Here... this user will help you:

Please go away and stop being such a jackass. Please don't anger the Hibernate team who are doing such a great job and are being so helpful and tolerant in this forum. Some of us learn a great deal here and may need their help in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:00 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

No need to defend us, we are pretty durable :) Longer answer coming soon ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:17 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:

Me personally I would say about 30 minutes to one hour distributed over the day.

Quote:

I am not.

Quote:

If I don't find a question interesting or chalenging to answer, I just don't do it :)

Quote:
What is a beginner to you? How much experience with Hibernate does someone have in order be a beginner?

Don't know. Some guys never manage to leave beginner level :)

Quote:
Do you think that it is more likely for a beginner to ask a question which has not yet been answered somewhere in a documentation file or on the internet than for a non beginner?

Of course you can ask everything you want, hey we are not censoring anything here. But you have to understand that everybody here is doing this in his free time, and that we answer redundant questions mostly with a short pointer into the right direction. Me personally I have better use for my time than explaining the 20th time a feature to somebody who in my impression has not read the docs. Most of the time, when somebody does not get it after a pointer, we will still keep on explaining it to him.

Quote:
How much time a beginner is supposed to spend searching somewhere else for an answer before he ask his question in the hibernate beginner forum?

I think everybody is able to do at least 15 Minutes of resarch in the docs, the forum or on google before he posts something. In every forum on the internet, no matter if here, in the usenet or on any other forum you will get much better results if your post at least shows that you have tried to figure this out yourself.

Quote:
Why are you so quick with answering questions in this forum? Why don't you let users help users? If you are so quick, users will never help users. Always the Hibernate Team will help users. I think users don't get so fast annoyed by beginner questions like the experienced Hibernate Team, or at least some of this team.

Well, we are so quick because it's fun :) And we are very proud of the fast support we are giving, I really see no point in letting a post linger on for days and wait if someone else posts to it, while we have a stuck user somewhere who can't proceed. Everybody is invited to post answers here of course, and a lot of people do (drj, brenuart, greg_barton and others - thanks to you guys).

We try very much to give the best possible level of support here, and I think we have managed very well to keep this forum a place useful to the huge majority of users coming here. We will surely not let this place degenerate to the pile of flamewars and unanswered posts so many other forums have become.

This is allways a two-sided buisness, we do our best to help all the forum users, but we also request from everybody here not to make things unnecessarily complex - and this includes a little bit of a thick hide for an occasional grumpy developer comment.

So take it easy, and don't overreact so much :)

Time to get some coding done again :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:22 pm 
Regular
Regular

I just try to figure out if I can get along with the Hibenate team and its community. The community depends on the leaders. The people who don't like the leaders, their work or their character, leave and use another technology.

I feel very well with other communities like Java, Eclipse and JUnit commities. I had discussions with them, but was not angry.

In the last few days I became angry a few times because of answers to my questions in the forum here. I don't like that feeling. Its a bad smell to me and I hope its not lasting. If it is lasting, I know that I will become angry again here and that I should choose another technology.

I am open to every outcome. Gavin said something to me which can be interpreted like "go away". So I will go away if I don't see a future to get along with the Hibernate Team, the community or with the general philosophy of the founder and the leading members.

I don't want to trouble you, just to figure out what to do or not to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:22 pm 
Pro
Pro

Well. here's a bit more defence, nonetheless. :)

In my decade or so of programming experience I have never gotten as good online support as I have from this forum, or seen an opensource project team that was so responsive.

How's that for brown nosing? :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:42 pm 
Pro
Pro

Quote:
Gavin said something to me which can be interpreted like "go away". So I will go away if I don't see a future to get along with the Hibernate Team

quereinsteiger, here's a rule of thumb I use when dealing online with fellow coders: I can tolerate ignorance or arrogance, but never both together. If you're ignorant (i.e. asking for help) you'd better be humble. If you're arrogant, you ought to have the knowledge/ability to back that up.

Yes, Gavin can sometimes come off as impatient and maybe a bit arrogant. I've never met the guy, so I can't comment on what he's really like. However, he's done a fantastic job creating Hibernate and is a highly skilled coder. That gives him tons of "arrogance points" in my book.

The truth is, you're getting something valuable for free here. You should consider paying in other ways, like being patient, supportive, and giving back to the community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:43 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Dude, honestly, I think you are being waaay thin-skinned here.

Don't take shit so personally. Really. This is nothing. You should read some of the stuff people write about me in blogs! I've learnt to just ignore it and get my work done.

Post subject: Re: Questions to the Hibernate Team
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 2:09 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Here are my answers

quereinsteiger wrote:

Probably 2h+ a day (depends on traffic)

quereinsteiger wrote:

No

quereinsteiger wrote:

Check unanswered questions, there are few of them compared to the whole questions.
No, I feel it's not very interesting to answer someone who obviously did not read the doc and the FAQ. I usually answer and give some pointers anyway.

quereinsteiger wrote:

I'm a beginner on some part of Hibernate and don't answer either ask question before checking the ref guide and the faqs.

quereinsteiger wrote:

I think the Hibernate doc is one of the best in the OS world (and I though that before beeing part of this team). I know the though part of it (I was a beginer in ORM), and I never blame anybody for not understand it.

quereinsteiger wrote:

It depends. I never blame/flame new users if they show me they've tried to solve their problem by themself: I may blame other people.

quereinsteiger wrote:

It depends the problem. The job that has to be done, is isolate the problem as much as it can be, give the smallest part of code/mapping that fail.

quereinsteiger wrote:

Because I like what I do and I came to this team this way.
Why do you think we answer almost every post. Because someone using the search button will find unanswered posts and will doubt : this is the Murphy law.
Plus due to the High traffic, an unanswered post will be lost in a day (especially if people bump it). I personnaly can't handle a huge list of unanswered posts to take care just in case.

Peace

PS
Quote:
I can tolerate ignorance or arrogance, but never both together.

Hehe, I like this one ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 3:02 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Ditto ;)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]