-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:00 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
I think it really comes down to the type of application architecture and topology you use

I definitely agree on that. The larger the application the more the need for an extra layer decoupling the clients from the service. What I have in mind are medium sized (web-) apps accessing stateless session EJBs.

Quote:
Also note that nothing stops you from having "actions" on DTOs, (they are no longer DTOs...).
with DTOs I really meant dumb data objects with no (or little) behaviour. Of course, if you add behaviour then they get their right to exist.

The question I'm trying to figure out is why not have POJOs for my domain model and use them both *before* AND *behind* my session EJB facade. Behind the session facade I use DAOs (with Hibernate) to persist and query my POJOs. Before the session facade I use DAOs that encapsulate access to my session facade. So I have my POJOs with a DAO for the client side and a DAO for the server side (and a DAO for unit testing!).

[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:02 am 
Beginner
Beginner

sorry, I forget the quote:

Quote:
Also note that nothing stops you from having "actions" on DTOs, (they are no longer DTOs...).
with DTOs I really meant dumb data objects with no (or little) behaviour. Of course, if you add behaviour then they get their right to exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:03 am 
Beginner
Beginner

sorry, I forget the quote
With DTOs I really meant dumb data objects with no (or little) behaviour. Of course, if you add behaviour then they get their right to exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:33 am 
Regular
Regular

pm4ji, newbie here, oo non db type.

[quote="RobJellinghaus"]Here are *all* the divisions that I have heard of:

>1) The basic Hibernate classes (i.e. persistent POJOs that Hibernate manages). (If this is all you have, it's potentially the "anemic domain model" as per Fowler.)

well, it does have a bunch of relations, so it sems a bit more than a pojo/plain bean.

>2) Subclasses of (or behavior enhancements to) the basic persistent POJOs, to create a richer domain model.

why not add the code to the pojo. keep two branches and merge as the tables change?

>3) Data access objects (DAOs) which contain Hibernate-specific HQL. Typically your domain model methods (from #2) use your DAOs in order to keep Hibernate-specific code from leaking into your domain model. ...

ah, this is why you subclas the above? might delegation work better in some case?

> ... The idea is that #1 and #2 are generic code -- there's actually little or no Hibernate-specific code in #1 or #2 -- so you keep all the Hibernate-specific code in DAOs which are *used* by your business logic (#2).

by dao, you mean something like http://www.ociweb.com/jnb/jnbNov2003.html or more like http://java.sun.com/blueprints/corej2ee ... bject.html or spring?

>4) Data transfer objects (DTOs) used to pass data from the domain model out to the view / client layer. Some people think these ... so why bother with #4? Just use #1.

>My proposal above highlights some problems with just using #1 to pass data out of your service layer (namely that if you expose #1, you also have to expose #2). So my proposal lets you automatically create a DTO layer (#4) that is structurally identical to your persistent objects (#1), so you only need to write some generic mapping code and never customize it again.

>So, basically, the reasons for each layer:

>#1: Simple Persistent Beans. You have to have this layer for Hibernate to work at all :-)
>#2: Behavior-Enhanced Persistent Beans. You want to add interesting business logic to your Simple Persistent Beans, but you also want to be able to change your data model without having to rewrite your bean code. So you subclass your #1 objects.
>#3: Data Access Objects. You want your #1 and #2 layers to stay free of Hibernate-specific code, so you put all the Hibernate-specific code in separate objects which you use from your #2 methods.
>#4: DTOs. You want to hide your view clients from the structure and/or the business logic of your #1/#2 objects.

interesting approach

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:45 pm 
Expert
Expert

rtayek wrote:
why not add the code to the pojo. keep two branches and merge as the tables change?

Because the merging would be a huge pain in the rear and very error-prone. Using <meta generated-class> lets subclassing do the work, and means that when you change the generated code / mappings, javac will tell you which bits of your subclass behavior code need to change. We have been using this technique for a month or so now and it is truly wonderful.

Quote:
robj wrote:
>3) Data access objects (DAOs) which contain Hibernate-specific HQL. Typically your domain model methods (from #2) use your DAOs in order to keep Hibernate-specific code from leaking into your domain model. ...

ah, this is why you subclas the above? might delegation work better in some case?

No, the subclassing above is just to separate the generated code (in an abstract <meta generated-class> superclass) from the custom behavior (in the concrete subclass which we write and which Hibernate maps). In some sense, putting the HQL into DAOs is kind of like delegating to the DAOs for all Hibernate-specific operations, though, yes.

Quote:

Hmm, I guess neither. I really just mean a Finder-like object which encapsulates all querying or other Hibernate-specific APIs. We have taken the basic save, update, flush, etc. operations and put them in a generic wrapper, so we call that freely throughout the code. The "DAOs" only encapsulate the HQL.

Quote:
Quote:
>#4: DTOs. You want to hide your view clients from the structure and/or the business logic of your #1/#2 objects.

interesting approach

Actually we aren't doing this at this point -- we're just sending out the domain objects. This is not a problem thus far since we are writing all the clients. We're keeping the "generate the DTOs" pattern in our back pocket in case we need it later.

Cheers!
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:20 pm 
Regular
Regular

RobJellinghaus wrote:
rtayek wrote:

Because the merging would be a huge pain in the rear and very error-prone. Using <meta generated-class> lets subclassing do the work,... We have been using this technique for a month or so now and it is truly wonderful.

Quote:
that was my plan, but the boss wanted the code to go in the generated class. am reading the above right in that you can get hib to your subclass?

Quote:
robj wrote:

No, the subclassing above is just to separate the generated code (in an abstract <meta generated-class> superclass) from the custom behavior (in the concrete subclass which we write and which Hibernate maps). ...

Quote:
just so i am sure, then there is a way to tell hib to map the row into to the *derived* class, but to generate a the base clase and let the compiler ...?

Quote:

Hmm, I guess neither. I really just mean a Finder-like object which encapsulates all querying or other Hibernate-specific APIs. We have taken the basic save, update, flush, etc. operations and put them in a generic wrapper, so we call that freely throughout the code. The "DAOs" only encapsulate the HQL.

Quote:
hmmm, i though they did crud and ome find :(

Quote:
Quote:

interesting approach

Actually we aren't doing this at this point -- we're just sending out the domain objects. This is not a problem thus far since we are writing all the clients. We're keeping the "generate the DTOs" pattern in our back pocket in case we need it later.

Cheers!
Rob

most of our stuff #1/#2 objects can be given directly to the client, but there will be some fat controll classses (e.g. ManglePO) that may need some dto's

thanks for you clarifications. i am a newbie to db and biz illogic so this is very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:37 pm 
Expert
Expert

rtayek wrote:
RobJellinghaus wrote:
Because the merging would be a huge pain in the rear and very error-prone. Using <meta generated-class> lets subclassing do the work,... We have been using this technique for a month or so now and it is truly wonderful.

that was my plan, but the boss wanted the code to go in the generated class. am reading the above right in that you can get hib to your subclass?

Yes. The pattern is:
Code:
<class name="your.MappedClass">
    <meta attribute="generated-class">your.generated.MappedClassGen</meta>
</class>

Then hbm2java spits out your/generated/MappedClassGen.java:
Code:
package your.generated;
public abstract class MappedClassGen {
}

And *you* write your/MappedClass.java:
Code:
package your;
public class MappedClass extends your.generated.MappedClassGen {
}

You put your code in MappedClass.java, and you regenerate MappedClassGen.java whenever the mapping changes. It makes no sense to put your code in the generated .java file because, well, it's *generated*! :-) And you want to be able to *regenerate* it without messing with your handwritten .java files. Feel free to show your boss this thread ;-)

Quote:
just so i am sure, then there is a way to tell hib to map the row into to the *derived* class, but to generate a the base clase and let the compiler ...?

Yes, this is exactly what happens: Hibernate at runtime *only* knows about your "your.MappedClass" derived class (since that's what your <class> element actually maps).

The generated class is just an implementation detail which hbm2java happens to make for you; you (and Hibernate) never make instances of it (it's abstract!), you (and Hibernate) only ever make instances of your concrete subclass.

Quote:
hmmm, i though they did crud and ome find :(

I guess traditionally they do, but with Hibernate, you create objects with "mappee = new MappedClass(...); session.save(mappee)", you update them with "session.update(mappee)", and you delete them with "session.delete(mappee)". We have a Persistence static object which uses the thread-local-session pattern to hide the Hibernate details; so our code just does "Persistence.save(mappee)", "Persistence.update(mappee)", "Persistence.delete(mappee)", "Persistence.flush()". Presto, you can do CUD operations from any code. Then the R is the only Hibernate-specific part, so it's the only thing you need to hide in a DAO.

Quote:
most of our stuff #1/#2 objects can be given directly to the client, but there will be some fat controll classses (e.g. ManglePO) that may need some dto's

Should be no problem. Will be a bit of by-hand coding perhaps but if you only need it in a few places it should be straightforward.

Quote:
thanks for you clarifications. i am a newbie to db and biz illogic so this is very helpful.

You're welcome! Many people here helped me a great deal when I was a Hibernate newbie back in January....

Cheers!
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:35 pm 
Regular
Regular

RobJellinghaus wrote:
Delegation doesn't work seamlessly with Hibernate. In your example, it is really Enhanced that is the object you want Hibernate to be creating and returning.

For instance, if you have a Parent object with a set of Enhanced objects, you want Hibernate to create the Enhanced objects when it loads that set from the database. Otherwise how do you manage the creation of the Enhanced objects when Hibernate loads the Set?

Quote:
you would have to use reflection or something to roll up the wrappers

The <meta generated-class> technique is designed for exactly this case -- ...

Quote:
i my case i have a bunch of legacy db's (with simialr flavours). the db types want to solve these problems in the mapping file (manualy). i was thinking of using inheritance extending from the pojo towards the data base (flavours - but just one at a time) to do this because i think they will need a separate hbm file for each flavour of db1. inheritance is rigid. so i was considering delegation as opposed to inheritance for extending in the other direction (towards the business objects).

but i am only considering this for the simple table rows that are passed directly as is (almost) to the client.

Cheers,
Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:37 pm 
Regular
Regular

CarrierWave - sounds similar to xdoclet...what are the differences??

Has anybody ever tried using clone() so the hibernate object just becomes a copy that is sent back to the client...(it at least eliminates needing hibernate jars on the client app).

Is this a really bad idea? It is coming from someone with 0 experience.
thanks,
dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:23 pm 
Regular
Regular

Hi!
And what about buildinng a layer on top of Hibernate that provides
services such as:

# automatic connection handling
# automatic transactions handling
# multiple undo levels
# real nested transactions
# client and server objects
# distributed non-transactional lazy loading
# etc,etc

That layer would have an an API like http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... e_Objects/
or like http://bdn.borland.com/delphi/eco that would make IMHO unnecessary to worry about DTOs don't you think? (Something like the ECOSpace... perhaps NHibernateSpace? NHibernateObjectContext?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:07 am 
Senior
Senior

I too have become frustrated with the DTO pattern and would prefer to send objects from the same server-side model back to the client rather than constructing a DTO. Sending an initialized graph of object back to the client would be ideal. Of course here, the trick is getting the graph properly initialized before being sent to the client. I have had some luck doing this using a ResultTransformer, but it is tedious work.

While I think some of what luxspes suggests is a wee-bit over the top, if there were an easier way to handle lazy-loading when persistent object have been sent to the client tier. I don't think this is probably the best solution as it would obviously unnecessary complexity to Hibernate. However, a nice to way handle graph initialization for the data that you need on the client would be a big help.

Ryan-

Please remember to rate!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:20 pm 
Regular
Regular

Hi!
Yes, I just dont get why the DTO pattern is so popular... for me is like the "ObjectContext" (ObjectSpace?) idea just got forgotten...

Why can't Hibernate just load objects on demand?

I mean, of course Session/Factory gives us more control... and ADO.NET or JDBC Api gives or even more... the close we get to the database, the control we get over it is greater... but.. is it always better?

Specially for Heavy/SmartClients wouldnt it be nice if we could have an HibernateContext that would transparently handle connections, session, transactions and uniquing? (Or course that API would have to be designed so that the HibernateContext could be overriden for particular places where extra power is needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:32 pm 
Regular
Regular

Quote:
And what about buildinng a layer on top of Hibernate that provides
services such as:

# automatic connection handling
# automatic transactions handling
# multiple undo levels
# real nested transactions
# client and server objects
# distributed non-transactional lazy loading
# etc,etc

A layer such as the one describe here: http://www.myecospace.net/Eco3Services.pdf

I am not saying we need a layer exactly like this, but I think we do need something similar, and, having Hibernate as the fundation, building something like that maybe wont be extreamly hard... I specially feel that an API for transaction handling similar to the "THE UNDO SERVICE" and "THE PERSISTENCE SERVICE" described in the linked pdf document, could make many tasks a lot easier...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3