-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Register class to map a Custom Value Type
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:58 pm 

I currently have a MonetaryAmount object to represent an amount and currency value. To have Hibernate persist this would be easiest with a CompositeUserType, but I don't like creating a dependency in my MonetaryAmount class on hibernate. Is there a way to create a seperate class to do the mapping and then somehow register this mapping class to handle all MonetaryAmount objects?

Would anyone else find this useful?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:26 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems like your missing the point of a UserType. The UserType implementation acts as this buffer between the actual type you want mapped in hibernate.

Basically, you'd have a MonetaryAmount class (the existing class) and MonetaryAmountUserType (or whatever you want to call it. Then you'd map the MonetaryAmount in the hibernate mapping using type="MonetaryAmountUserType". This exists this way exactly for the purpose you mention: avoiding dependencies on hibernate in your business classes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:45 pm 

Yep, I completely missed the point. I thought that my type had to implement the hibernate interface for the mapping to take place. Specifying the type works great.

One other novice question: if I specify that the type is immutable (isMutable() returns false), do I need to implement the setPropertyValues() method of the CompositeUserType interface?

thanks
scott

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 8:50 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Yes. isMutable() just means that the property objects internals can not change, not that the property itself can not change (java.util.Date would be mutable for example, a String would not be). This for allowing hibernate to take a shortcut when dirty checking.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]