-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: left joins in hibernate
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:41 am 

quoting rick:
Quote:
Say I have a Customer object, and one of the mappings is many-to-one for a ZipCity. The ZipCity table maps zip codes to city names, but isn't 100% complete, so I'm going to need outer joins for it all to work, allowing customers with null ZipCity objects.

Most Customers have a zip that will map, but say one has a zip code that isn't in the ZipCity table.

This is where hibernate does indeed get all the outer joined records. In normal sql, that data for the joined zip that doesn't exist would have null data.

But hibernate seems to do another query on the ZipCity table to load that unjoined zip, and it fails, and the entire query fails.

Boy even this sounds confusing, I don't know how to distill it more! Bottom line is I would be ok if the first query just came back and left a null Zip object in there, but that second attempt kills me.

rick

I have the same problem here.
It seems to me a very common situation (specially when working with legacy data) that has not a fairly simple solution. Any comments on this would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 9:45 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Well I think there could be a way to make it work by relying as much as possible on Proxys and lazy loading. Check the SQL Hibernate generates and try to avoid the not working querys by using lazy loading. Not however that Hibernate is not designed to work around a broken relational model, like foreign keys for which do not exist as primary key in the related table.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]