-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to detect a dirty object?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:33 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi all,

I want to tell my users when an object is changed and then saved. However, I don't want to do anything weird with interceptors.. I was hoping there was something like:

Hibernate.isDirty(myObject) that would tell me if the object had been changed during the session?

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:08 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I'm afraid you have to go into the weirdness of the interceptors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 5:22 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Theorectically I could look into how Hibernate detects whether an object is dirty or not.. Is my desire to leverage hibernate to detect a dirty object that odd? Just surprised since isInitialized is there on the Hibernate class....

I'll go hunting and see what I find. Thanks..
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 6:37 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

No, there are reasons why we don't support this: we only keep a snapshot of the most recent flush, so we don't know if anything changed before the flush.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:31 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

That makes sense.. So, if I load up and object, and then do multiple flushes, I only know post the most recent flush whether the object is dirty or not.

So, what I could do is something icky like make a copy of the object and then using something compare all the properties to see what changes. However, since I only have one Session, with a flush at the end, assuming hibernate doesn't flush during, is there a way to see if things have changed?

I guess I could write an interceptor that tracked the changes to each object, and then query the interceptor for whether an object changed.....

Thanks,
Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:36 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

interceptor solutions sounds most possible.

Remember that hibernate flushes automatically if you e.g. uses HQL to query stuff about any of the loaded object classes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]