-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Disabling second-level cache
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:08 am 

A couple of questions:

1. Can the second-level cache (SessionFactory level) be totally disabled in Hibernate 2.1rc1?

2. Is the EHCacheProvider the factory-default caching provider coming from the 2.1rc1 distribution? Do you have a second-level caching implementation turned on by default when using a stock Hibernate system without configuring the cache.provider_class property?

The reason I ask this is I would like to measure the performance of Hibernate when not using any second-level caching at all and then reapply second-level caching and demonstrate a performance gain. This is for a presentation on Hibernate that I am preparing.

Thanks in advance for any help concerning my questions. I been very impressed with the entire Hibernate product, hence my efforts to build this presentation and get the word out about this framework.

Regards,

-- chris bartling --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:13 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

No, this is no simple switch. It is possible, however, to do like i do in org.hibernate.test.TestCase and iterate over all mapped collections and classes, calling setXXXCacheConcurrencyStrategy(null), or whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:25 am 

Thanks for the prompt reply Gavin. I can then assume that the net.sf.ehcache.hibernate.Provider is the default cache provider and second-level caching is enabled by default. The documentation on second level caching could be a bit more clear about this:

http://www.hibernate.org/hib_docs/refer ... ormance-s3

Thanks again for the information.

Regards,

-- chris bartling --

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 1:28 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

second-level cache is NOT enabled by default. It requires <cache> mapping elements in the .hbm.xml or <class-cache>/<collection-cache> elements in the .cfg.xml.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]