-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Id generator - min & max range possible?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:05 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hello,
I am using "hilo" ID generator and I am wondering if there is any way to instruct the db to generate the ids in a specific range, particularly given a "start" value. I am not much familiar with hilo algorithm, but anyway, if it is not possible with hilo, is there any other generator to help achieve this?
Thank you very much.
Madhan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:15 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Yes and no.
Since hilo use for high value the value stored in DB, the you can manually update it to DB.
No there is no special start config property.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:00 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thank you! How does the hi-lo value appear in the db? I mean is there is a size proportion for the "high" and "low" digit? I set this number to an "int" and also I believe I can do some kind of bit masking and set the intial value for the "high" part if I know the structure of this number in the db.
Thanks again,
Madhan.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:03 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Only the current high-value is stored in the db, the lo-part is generated in memory only by the generator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:09 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

you have the
<param name="max_lo">100</param> in the generator tag that let you specify the low range.

First time, Hibernate will take hi value from db, and increment a JVM counter from 1 to max_lo
id = hi *maxlo + localcount

once counter = maxlo, then it will take the next high value from the db.

Here is an article on id keys http://www.agiledata.org/essays/dataModeling101.html#AssignKeys

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]