-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Thread Local Session pattern and static fields
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:52 am 
Regular
Regular

Hi Folks,

is it really a good idea to put the ThreadLocal instance in a static field. Couldn't this be problematic in a clustered J2EE container?

Thx
Toby

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:55 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

eh?

I'm trying to think what you might mean by this .... how would clustering affect anything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:51 am 
Regular
Regular

gavin wrote:
eh?

I'm trying to think what you might mean by this .... how would clustering affect anything?

A single JVM ensures that a static field is only loaded once by the classloader. This is differnt in a J2EE Container. First of all you have different class loaders per JVM. But this is okay as each classloader is responsible for a single application and in most cases you can silgthly ignore this (if you use reflection you should load classes with correct classloader). The problem is distrubted programming and clustering. Normally containers use something build on top of JINI/RMI/Serialization to replicate the JVM heap to each cluster note. As clustering is only a matter of configuration from view of container and deployer you have to ensure that your code works as it should in a clustered, replicated environment. Having said this the single JVM gurantee of a classic member is not longer valid for a clustered mulit-JVM environment. Of course maybe we need a real clusterable VM that ensures static to be static but I cannot imagine that is is planed by Sun or any other JCP member.

In EJB spec static fields are forbidden due to the restriction of the replicated, clustered nature of J2EE containers. Singletons are another example for this. You should at least synchronize them into a mulit-classloader architecture but synchronized is not allowed into a EJB Container (but in a servelt container you should have no problems with it).

My intention is not to meet trouble halfway! I want is to be carefully, thats everything.

Any thougths, hints, stuff, advice, wisdom abouth this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:01 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

But this is a thread local! A thread is local to a JVM by definition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:54 am 
Regular
Regular

gavin wrote:
But this is a thread local! A thread is local to a JVM by definition.

Maybe I'm to sensiblized and I seeing ghosts. Sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:01 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The purpose of thread loacl is to share an object for the whole thread. This is very useful in J2EE env since EJBs work by thread, an http session either.
Thus this is a convenient way to share the same session object for 1 user tx (no concurrent issue). This isn't a way to share data accross JVMs.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]