-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Timestamp mapped to Date ?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:27 am 
Senior
Senior

Hi,

I'm using the codegenerator and it maps 'timestamp' in the mapping file to 'java.util.Date'

Shouldn't it generate java.sql.Timestamp???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:09 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Ummm. java.sql.Timestamp extends java.util.Date

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:19 am 
Senior
Senior

Soooooo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:14 pm 

I have the same problem...
java.sql.Timestamp extends java.util.Date by adding a nanoseconds field, thus they are not the same thing.
Is there a solution to this code-generation problem?
Thank you!
Regards
Massimo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:16 pm 
Proxool Developer
Proxool Developer

Have a look at http://forum.hibernate.org/viewtopic.php?t=927602

This may give you some hints ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 5:13 am 

Thank you brenuart, but I still miss the point.
Why does TimestampType.getReturnedClass() return a java.util.Date instead of a java.sql.Timestamp?
Why does hibernate in this case choose the right type for me? :)
Thank you
Massimo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:35 pm 
Proxool Developer
Proxool Developer

mapofe wrote:
Thank you brenuart, but I still miss the point.
Why does TimestampType.getReturnedClass() return a java.util.Date instead of a java.sql.Timestamp?

Ask Gavin ;-)

To be correct, Hibernate DOES return a java.sql.Timestamp but casted to a java.util.Date...

Although java.sql.Timestamp is assign-compatible with a java.util.Date - it is not exactly the same, in the sense that Timestamp.equals(Date) will not work... Quite annoying :-(

Here is what you should do - beside asking to change Hibernate ;-) - is to create a UserType for what you need:
- either your own TimestampUserType that would return a Timestamp - if this is what you need;
- either your own DateTimeUserType that would convert the java.sql.Timestamp into a concrete java.util.Date (if you need Date+Time precision returned as a java.util.Date).

You are not the first having this problem - although the Jira issue mentionned in the URL shown above is closed - maybe you could still vote for it ;-)

I had to write such DateTimeUserType for our project - I can post it here if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 6:38 pm 
Proxool Developer
Proxool Developer

Note that in your case - if you need a java.sql.Timestamp - you shouldn't have anything to modify.

Just declare your properties as java.sql.Timestamp, map them as an Hibernate Timestamp - and everything should be ok.

May be it will fail since TimestampType.getReturnedClass() is a java.util.Date - no idea if it will work...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:03 am 

Hi brenuart, thank you for your answer.
I'll use a subclass of TimestampUserType, with the big uncertainty "will it work or is it broken? Why does Hibernate map property type="timestamp" to a java.sql.Date"?.
Thank you!
Massimo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 4:05 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Why would you want to pollute your domain model with JDBC-specific classes from the package java.sql????

Your domain model should not have dependencies to persistence infrastructure, if possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:24 am 

Hi Gavin,
this application binds to a legacy database, and the application must handle dates with nanoseconds (timestamp) precision, i.e. the database contains history information based on timestamps, so I have to (or at least that's what I think) map these persistent fields to java.sql.Timestamps.
Anyway IMHO if you provide a TimestampType than it should work with Timestamps at 100% for consistency.
After all Hibernate is an SQL based persistence layer, thus Timestamp is an acceptable java type.
Regards
Massimo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:20 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Dude, Timestamp inherits Date! Think about it. Hibernate has no problem assigning an instance of Timestamp to a property of type Date.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:35 pm 
Proxool Developer
Proxool Developer

gavin wrote:
Dude, Timestamp inherits Date! Think about it. Hibernate has no problem assigning an instance of Timestamp to a property of type Date.

(will work, except for the Timestamp.equals(Date), Gavin, except for the equals()... :-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:37 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

huh??? What, Java has no polymorphism?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:47 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

maybe try Date.equals(Timestamp) if your doing a compare against a regular Date the nanos won't be there anyway.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next