-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Custom ID Generator
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:28 am 

I have a table that generates IDs for various domain objects in my application. So my T_COUNTER table looks like

Employee 4
Project 10

The problem here is that i have to use an "assigned" generator for all my domain objects(Employee, Project etc.). If i have an association between Employee and Project and want Project to be persisted when an Employee is updated, i do something like

//Get employee
Employee emp = loadEmployee();
Set projects = new HashSet();
projects.add(project1); //Project1 is not persisted yet
projects.add(project2); //Project2 is not persisted yet

saveOrUpdate(employee);

This causes a SQL Exception saying "Row not found for project", which is true as i want the projects to be inserted only at this time. I looked at the Hibernate code and the isUnsavedValue(Serializable id) returns false as my id value is "assigned" and changes every time(Which means i cant set a unsaved-value parameter).
So my solution is to persist every single project before i do a saveorupdate on the employee.

I can get around this if i create my custom generator that looks up on my COUNTER table and generates the next number rather than generating a sequence. Is this a good approach?

Let me know if this is not clear.

Thanks
Raj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:55 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The custom id generator will probably be the best approach.

Another option maybe to implement the Interceptor.isUnsaved method in a custom Interceptor. There you could attempt to ascertain whether the entity's id constitutes an already saved value.

I would definitely recommend the generator strategy, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:12 pm 

I did the Custom ID generator and now it works like a charm.
Can this be submitted in the Wiki? I think this would be a useful thing as it follows the "Sequence Blocks" patten used in "EJB Design Patterns".
My generator goes like this
<generator class="....">
<param name="table">T_COUNTER</param> <!-- Table that holds all entities -->
<param name="key">Employee</param> <!-- Domain Entity who's primary key should be incremented -->
</generator>

I should admit that ive never used an API thats so easy to use and extend and make it work the first time ;-) Great job guys.

-Raj

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:31 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You can submit anything you like to the Wiki. Thats the idea!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:24 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Quote:
I would definitely recommend the generator strategy, however

Out of curiousity what is it about the interceptor strategy that makes you lean so strongly towards using a custom generator.

IMHO I think that hibernates use of a specific id value to determine object state information is pretty darn hokey.

-marc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:15 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
what is it about the interceptor strategy that makes you lean so strongly towards using a custom generator

Just the fact that the explicit use of assigned ids causes certain problems with cascading that have to be rectified by either:
1) assuming everything is an insert or everything is an update, and then deal with convergences from that assumption explicilty;
2) writing possibly complicated code merely to determine whether a given instance represents a previously saved state or not.
Especially when you consider that id-generation does not have this limitation and that a custom id-generator can easily be written to perform whatever id-doling your app was previously doing.

Quote:
use of a specific id value to determine object state information is pretty darn hokey

Pray tell how you'd go about it in a framework allowing detached instances?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]