-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: OQL without database
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:55 am 

I am attempting to write a set of POJO (Plain old java objects) to represent my data domain.

In a "server" environment they will be working with a database. Hibernate is ideal and the OQL is very usefull.

For code re-use I'd like to use the same POJO's in a "client" environment when they will be working (probably) with an XML document.

Does anyone know if I can use session.filter / or session.find calls on an object graph that has been created "outside" of Hibernate.

ARCHITECTUAL QUANDRY - XML Value Objects OR Hibernate POJO domain level.

The other option I have, is to trat the object graph as an XML dom and process everything with xPath statements. Unfortunately, I know of no XML <--> relational database persistence engine. So on the server side I will be writing a lot of JDBC code.

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:27 pm 
Pro
Pro

What about always using Hibernate on top of your POJO objects and just embedding HSQLDB with your client?

HSQLDB is a 100% pure java embeddable or standalone SQL database (open source) http://hsqldb.sourceforge.net/index.html. I believe there are other embeddable Java databases too.

Post subject: HSQLDB looks good and small
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:55 am 

Hi Stolley,

Ok, thanks. A great idea. Perhaps I should have thought of it too.

HSQLDB has a 160k footprint and uses disk based files.

So you have now solved my POJO Problem.

BUT, Architectural Quandry

-----------------------------------------------

Client - Server Communication in XML

------------------------------------------------

I'd like to marshall my "data domain" (POJO objects with hibernate connection to mySQL) to xml documents and back again.

I have in the past used CASTOR.

But I see that JiBX and dom4j are also popular. Hibernate itself uses dom4J to run xml transformations.

Compatability with "maven" would be nice.

Any advice?

Thanks

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:42 pm 
Pro
Pro

I don't really have much that is valuable to say about the value object <-> XML mapping thing, since I've not done a lot of it myself. But I've heard that the Jakarta-commons Betwixt & Digester projects might be worth checking out.

Post subject: Good looking links.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:07 am 

Thanks Stolley,

I'm going to check out those commons projects. They look very interesting.

Dan

Post subject: OFF TOPIC
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:13 am 

Err....

Hi Stolley,

I'm sorry about this extremely off topic question that has nothing at all to do with HIBERNATE.

I'm going on holiday to Australia in 2 months and was wondering if you knew anything about the following surfing info, because I don't know any Australians:

(a) type of wetsuit for a brisbane-sydney surfari in late november / or (b) the water temperature. And (c) I imagine it would be easy to buy some shortboards in Brisbane / Surfers Paradise, but what sort of price do boards go for?

Thanks,

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:51 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

a) long suite not required
b) 16-20 C
c) Not sure sorry,

Post subject: Sweet, a shortie.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:53 am 

Thanks, David.

--END OF OFF TOPIC--

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]