-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: (Deep) Eager loading in Hibernate
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:53 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

i'm quite new to Hibernate, and after reading Chapter 11 from the Hibernate documentation, i wonder if Hibernate also supports "deep eager loading".

I want to read a net of objects starting from root object as fast as possible.
From my experience the performance of such a reading is (as a first approximation) direct proportional to the number of SQL requests (=number of DB roundtrips).
Therefore, i would like that only one SQL select is performed per table, regardless of how the various entries in a table are connected to their parents.

Example:
Let's assume we have four entities:
    event,
    order,
    ticket and
    promotion_logo

An event has n1 order's, a order has n2 ticket's, and a ticket points to any number of promotion_logo's.

In a concrete case, an event has n1=3 orders, each order has n2=3/4/2 tickets and the various tickets point to 0..4 promotion_logo entries.

Some O/R mapper i know of optimze the reading of relationships only at "level 1", so it generates 14 SQL statements (1 to read the event, 1 to read the orders, 3 to read the tickets for each order and 9 to read the promotion_logo's for each ticket).

Obviously, you could do the same in 4 SQL select statements, one for each table.

Can i instruct Hibernate to do a "deep eager loading"?

Bye,

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:16 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

yes, of course. please refer to the Hibernate manual.

Post subject: (Deep) Eager loading in Hibernate per query
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:13 am 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

i think i found the deep eager loading feature (the lazy parameter in the map XML element, right?).

Unfortunately, this is not a per-query setting, so all queries have to share the lazy/eager loading settings of the object graph.

Is this right?
(I'm a newbie, so i if missed something obvious, sorry!)

Bye,

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:19 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Ummm. If you want per-query deep fetching, please refer to the section of the manual which talks about queries!

eg. in HQL there is a FETCH keyword.

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:32 am 
Beginner
Beginner

If every product i use would have such great support ...

I read the "fetch" statement, but because my pattern matching was focused on "lazy|eager" i didn't understand it.

A "Chapter 11.2 Eager Loading" with a short description that
a) the performance for reading object graps is direct propertional to the number of DB roundtrips (=SQL selects)
b) eager loading can be done in the mapping by not using proxies (with a pointer to Chapter 5.2)
c) eager queries need to specify the "fetch join" (with a pointer to Chapter 9.3)

would be very helpful!

Bye,

J

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]