-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: mapping map to polymorphic values
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:20 pm 

I need advice on how to map a rather complex field in one of my persistent classes.

I have a java.util.Map that maps from a key to one of several possible objects. It's probably best to use a silly example:

Alice -> PERSON(wife)
Bob -> TEACHER(daughter's teacher)
Duke -> DOG

(a TEACHER extends PERSON, although I'm not always sure this is the case in real life.) In the actual business logic it's a bit more complex since the key also constraints the class of the target - it's more like:

LIGHT_BULBS -> LIGHTBULB_MANUFACTURER(...) or
-> LIGHTBULB_PURCHASER(...)

but never

! LIGHT_BULBS -> TONER_CARTRIDGE_MANUFACTURER

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I see this producing three tables:

FIE: the table that contains the bulk of the object, and contains a one-to-many 'map' relationship to FEE.

FEE: the table that contains the map, linking key and a one-to-one relationship to FOE, FUM, FAH

FOE: a table that contains PERSONs
FUM: a table that contains TEACHERs
FAH: a table that contains DOGs

Is this the simplest approach? Is it possible to store all targets in a single column - I want to avoid having one field for each possible type, for both business logic and practical reasons.

Finally, what are the Xdoclet tags for all of this?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:12 pm 

Amazing how asking for help seems to shake something loose so you can find the answer yourself.

This seems to answer my problems, and with a lot less effort than I first feared:

Code:
@hibernate.map cascade="all"
@hibernate.collection-key column="key"
@hibernate.collection-index column="key" type="long"
@hibernate.collection-element column="value" type="serializable"

The main downside is that this approach is that a serializable object is opaque - the RHS of the map can't be used in Hibernate queries.[/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:24 pm 

I spoke too soon - this seems to produce a table that provides a general map, not one keyed to a specific instance....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 2:34 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

forget XDoclet for this.

Looks like you need a <many-to-any>

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]