-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hibernate issuing a lot of sql statements
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:26 pm 

I have a very general question. I have my setup with hibernate working just fine (21 tables) with a lot of associations where one entity has a collection of another entity(one-to-many). I am using cascade="save-update" on almost half of these relationships. Most of my normal calls to hibernate are working fine but it seems that hibernate is issuing a lot of sql calls to the database. Even when table_A 1 has a one-to-many relation to table_B and table_B is empty. Hibernate seems to still make a lot of calls to the database for no apparent reason.

Some of my tables have a lot of data loaded in them while others are empty initially.

Generally speaking, what would cause it to make such a large number of calls? I understand that this is a very broad question, but there is not error to report other than that I am seeing a bunch of queries that I don't seem to see a reason for. Just checking if anyone else has seen this kind of behaviour and figured out why it was happening.

Thanks for all your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:32 pm 

BTW, I am using Hibernate 2.0.3. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 10:58 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

This IS a ridiculously broad question.

In general, to reduce the number of queries, you have to carefully think about how associations are mapped: are you using proxies effectively? are you using outer join fetching effectively? Have you enabled caching, where appropriate, etc.

Post subject: Thanks...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:05 am 

I actually intended to have the question be this broad. I wanted kind of a list (like the one you gave) of the things that might affect the issue I was describing. Just wanted to know if I missed anything that I need to take a look at. Thanks for the reply. I have been going over the different settings and checking what the impact was. Will post what I find since I am sure it is something that I have overlooked.

Post subject: Why there are lots of queries for associations...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:48 pm 
Senior
Senior

I have figured this out as a result of debugging a problem I am having with getting too many results from my Criterias.

In my system (maybe I am still doing something wrong...) I get one query executed for every single object (or collection thereof) that lives within my mapping hierarchy. What this means is that if you have the following structure:
Code:
class A {
    private Map bInstances = new HashMap();
}

class B {
    private Map cInstances = new HashMap();
}

class C {
    private Long something = new Long(0);
}

Let's say there are two records for class A in the database...
Four records for class B (A1-B1, A1-B2, A2-B3, A2-B4)...
And eight for class C (B1-C1, B1-C2, B2-C3, B2-C4, etc. ...)...

Assuming it is mapped with <one-to-many...> from A to B and B to C...

When you load an instance of class A you will get the following amount of SQL:
one select for the A record and all it's joining etc from the where criteria.
one select for the list of B records that go with A
depending on how things are joined: one or two more selects for the B records (whether you wanted them or not) details
two more selects for the lists of C records for each of the B's.
four selects for the details of the four C records.

As you can see this becomes exponentially large in nature very fast.

In my system I get several pages of sql output when I load one record because I have nested mappings 5 layers deep with mulitple mappings at the fifth level and the exponential amount of queries is staggering but it does seem to run fairly quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:19 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Map your collections with lazy="true", and understand what setFetchMode() does.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]