-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: problem with Date
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 9:58 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Hi,

I use java.util.Date for one property in my bean, I also set up "date" type in property in my mapping file. When I insert a row into db table, then load it
by using its auto-generated id, I found the inserted date column value and the retrieved date column value are different. This is the reason why they are not equal when I compare them using equals() method. If I remove Date from my bean and mapping file, and use other types, there will be no problem.

I am wondering how you guys handle this problem with Date type?

regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:08 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Of course!

A java.util.Date represents a timestamp.

The Hibernate "date" type, sanely, represents a date.

Use the Hibernate "timestamp" type, which is the default mapping for a java.util.Date.

Note also that some JDBC drivers truncate or otherwise mangle java.sql.Timestamps, so equals() might not quite work anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:08 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

How are the dates different?

You said you map with "date" as the type. Realize that this correlates to the DATE sql type, which on most DBs keeps only the date portion and drops the time portion. If this is what you are seeing, map using "timestamp" as the type instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:36 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Yes, you are right guys. Just tested it, and this solved my problem.

So much to learn about Hibernate!

regards,

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]