-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to map a @OneToOne association which joins by the @Id
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:49 am 

I'm trying to map a OneToOne relationship as an entity identifier : in my schema a person can have 0 or 1 user account, thus user_accounts table's id is a foreign key referencing person's id.

Here's a sample of my class diagram :

Schema :

persons (id, ..., PK(id))
customers (id, ..., PK(id), FK(id) RF persons(id))
user_accounts(id, ..., PK(ID), FK(id) RF persons(id))

Here's a sample of UserAccount class :

Code:
@Entity
    @Table(name = "user_accounts")
    public class UserAccount extends core.business.model.mapping.Entity implements Serializable {

@Id
        @OneToOne(targetEntity = Person.class, cascade = CascadeType.ALL)
        @JoinColumn(name = "id", referencedColumnName = "id", nullable = false)
        private RegisteredUser user;

@Column(name = "email_address")
        private String emailAddress;

@Column
        private String hash;

@OneToOne(mappedBy = "userAccount",
                  cascade  = CascadeType.ALL,
                  fetch    = FetchType.LAZY)
        private Token token;

@Override
        public boolean equals(Object o) {
            if (this == o) return true;
            if (o == null || getClass() != o.getClass()) return false;

UserAccount that = (UserAccount) o;

return user.equals(that.user);
        }

@Override
        public int hashCode() {
            return user.hashCode();
        }

UserAccount() {
        }
}

After a userAccount is returned from DAO, its user is null, which cannot be possible according to my model's constraints.

Here's the sql query generated by hibernate :
Quote:
select useraccoun0_.id as id4_25_, useraccoun0_.updated_at as updated_1_25_, useraccoun0_.email_address as email_ad2_25_, useraccoun0_.hash as hash3_25_, useraccoun0_1_.token_id as token_id0_24_ from user_accounts useraccoun0_ left outer join tokens__user_accounts useraccoun0_1_ on useraccoun0_.id=useraccoun0_1_.user_account_id where useraccoun0_.email_address='xxx@xxx.com' and useraccoun0_.hash='e13d212084f7d594e4c540474c0981d99dfe581a'

There is no join on persons table while it is expected to fetch it.

If I move RegistredUser into an @Embeddable class and embed it as an @EmbeddedId, the relationship is properly fetched, but it's quite "ugly" to proceed like so and Hibernate specs say at the end of 2.2.3.1 section :

Quote:
Finally, you can ask Hibernate to copy the identifier from another associated entity. In the Hibernate jargon, it is known as a foreign generator but the JPA mapping reads better and is encouraged

Post subject: Re: xToOne association annotated with @Id
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:11 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

As I explained in the best way to map a @OneToOne relationship with JPA and Hibernate article, your mapping should look like this:

Code:
@Entity
@Table(name = "user_accounts")
public class UserAccount
    extends core.business.model.mapping.Entity
    implements Serializable {

@Id
    private Long id;

@OneToOne

@OneToOne(fetch = FetchType.LAZY)
    @MapsId
    private Person user;

@Column(name = "email_address")
    private String emailAddress;

@Column
    private String hash;

@OneToOne(mappedBy = "userAccount",
              cascade  = CascadeType.ALL,
              fetch    = FetchType.LAZY)
    private Token token;

@Override
    public boolean equals(Object o) {
        if (this == o) return true;
        if (o == null || getClass() != o.getClass()) return false;

UserAccount that = (UserAccount) o;

return user.equals(that.user);
    }

@Override
    public int hashCode() {
        return user.hashCode();
    }

UserAccount() {
    }
}

So, this is what I did:

1. I added a dedicated @Id column.
2. The @OneToOne uses @MapsId so that the one-to-one uses the PK as a FK to the parent entity.
3. You should use LAZY associations, not EAGER ones which are bad for performance.
4. I don't think it pays off to use the RegisteredUser for the @oneToOne along with the targetEntity attribute since it brings no extra value to your Domain Model since you are linking to Person entity type anyway.

Post subject: Re: How to map a @OneToOne association which joins by the @Id
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am 

I will give it a try even though it's rather redundant imho (userAccount's id is the same as person's and thus will not be used in my application).

here is the spec's example I pointed out :
Code:
@Entity
class MedicalHistory implements Serializable {
  @Id @OneToOne
  @JoinColumn(name = "person_id")
  Person patient;
}

@Entity
public class Person implements Serializable {
  @Id @GeneratedValue Integer id;
}

I would really like to obtain such a result, but there are no example of this pattern on this internet.

Quote:
4. I don't think it pays of to use the RegisteredUser for the @oneToOne along with the targetEntity attribute since it brings no extra value to your Domain Model since you are linking to Person entity type anyway.

Well, RegisteredUser is an interface that contains getUserAccount() and setUserAccount() as not all persons have a user-account.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:05 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
I will give it a try even though it's rather redundant imho (userAccount's id is the same as person's and thus will not be used in my application).

That syntax is only valid if you use @IdClass. Check out the Hibernate docs.

Quote:
I would really like to obtain such a result, but there are no example of this pattern on this internet.

You don't find this pattern because it's only supported by Hibernate for @ManyToOne. JPA defines @MapsId for this use case.

Quote:
Well, RegisteredUser is an interface that contains getUserAccount() and setUserAccount() as not all persons have a user-account.

Why not expose the interface on the getter? The field can still use the actual implementation, and it's already encapsulated.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:15 am 

Quote:
You don't find this pattern because it's only supported by Hibernate for @ManyToOne. JPA defines @MapsId for this use case.

If so, this should be removed from the documentation 2.2.3.1's example because it is quite misleading :

Quote:
Why not expose the interface on the getter? The field can still use the actual implementation, and it's already encapsulated.

I could but I prefer to store the person as an interface and expose the entity class in targetEntity attribute, it's a personal convention, there is no contraindication about this way of proceeding, is there ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:45 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
If so, this should be removed from the documentation 2.2.3.1's example because it is quite misleading :

We already did that. You are reading the old User Guide. Check out the new one.

Quote:
I could but I prefer to store the person as an interface and expose the entity class in targetEntity attribute, it's a personal convention, there is no contraindication about this way of proceeding, is there ?

No, you can do that if you want.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]