-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Does Hibernate support custom class per row?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:41 pm 

Hi,

Is there a way to override which class Hibernate uses for each row of a table? So a select could return a list of objects of different types. For example, if I have a table like:

Code:
create table things (
   id integer,
   name text,
   java_class text
)

There is a Java class `Thing` (which has properties for `id` and `name`), and the `java_class` column can name a subclass of `Thing`.

Rob

Post subject: Re: Custom class per row?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:47 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Sure, it does support such a feature.

Just use SINGLE_TABLE inheritance as explained in this article. The java_class column is the discriminator type which you can customize using the @DiscriminatorColumn.

Post subject: Re: Custom class per row?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:05 pm 

vlad wrote:

Just use SINGLE_TABLE inheritance as explained in this article. The java_class column is the discriminator type which you can customize using the @DiscriminatorColumn.

I don't see any mention of inheritance or discriminators in that article. Is that the right link?

Rob

Post subject: Re: Does Hibernate support custom class per row?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:33 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

By default, the discriminator column is called DTYPE. If you provide a @DiscriminatorColumn annotation, you can override the column name. The JavaDoc is very straightforward about it.

For more details, subscribe to my blog newsletter and I'll write about this topic in the following two weeks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]