-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: Issues after upgrading hibernate version from 4.3 to 5.2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:51 am 

I am trying to upgrade the Hibernate version of our project from 4.3 to 5.2. I have gone through the steps required for upgrading by going through the following documents

https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/blob/5.0/migration-guide.adoc
    http://hibernate.org/orm/documentation/5.1/migration/
    https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-orm/blob/5.0/migration-guide.adoc

However after making the required changes, i am facing some runtime errors.

I took a very simple example model, where in my EntityModel looks like this:

EntityMetamodel(cemployees_create:[Attribute(name=LastName, type=string [non-identifier]),Attribute(name=FirstName, type=string [non-identifier]),Attribute(name=BirthDate, type=timestamp [non-identifier]),Attribute(name=HireDate, type=timestamp [non-identifier]),Attribute(name=Photo, type=binary [non-identifier]),Attribute(name=ReportsTo, type=cemployees_create [non-identifier,association]),Attribute(name=ReporteesArr, type=java.util.Collection(cemployees_create.ReporteesArr) [non-identifier,association])])

However in version 5.2 when its trying to buildAttribute in AttributeFactory.java, its throwing the following exception:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Expecting collection type [org.hibernate.type.BagType] at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory.determineCollectionType(AttributeFactory.java:937) at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory$PluralAttributeMetadataImpl.(AttributeFactory.java:786) at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory$PluralAttributeMetadataImpl.(AttributeFactory.java:767) at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory.determineAttributeMetadata(AttributeFactory.java:548) at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory.buildAttribute(AttributeFactory.java:77) at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.MetadataContext.wrapUp(MetadataContext.java:213) at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.MetamodelImpl.initialize(MetamodelImpl.java:220) at org.hibernate.internal.SessionFactoryImpl.(SessionFactoryImpl.java:297) at org.hibernate.boot.internal.SessionFactoryBuilderImpl.build(SessionFactoryBuilderImpl.java:452) at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:710)

This is happening when its trying to build the Attribute for Attribute(name=ReporteesArr, type=java.util.Collection(cemployees_create.ReporteesArr) [non-identifier,association])])

Just wanted to check if someone has faced this problem before or if any one knows resolutions for it.
The same thing works perfectly fine with Hibernate 4.3.

Post subject: Re: Issues after upgrading hibernate version from 4.3 to 5.2
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:41 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You need to add the entity mappings to see what you are doing. If it's according to JPA specs, then it is an issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:56 am 

I tried evaluating the code-path of Hibernate 4.3 for building the EntityAttribute for an association and it looks like this code works fine, with the same data:
Code:
public static NonIdentifierAttribute buildEntityBasedAttribute(EntityPersister persister, SessionFactoryImplementor sessionFactory, int attributeNumber, Property property, boolean lazyAvailable) {
        Type type = property.getValue().getType();
        PropertyFactory.NonIdentifierAttributeNature nature = decode(type);
        boolean alwaysDirtyCheck = type.isAssociationType() && ((AssociationType)type).isAlwaysDirtyChecked();
        switch(PropertyFactory.SyntheticClass_1.$SwitchMap$org$hibernate$tuple$PropertyFactory$NonIdentifierAttributeNature[nature.ordinal()]) {
        case 1:
            return new EntityBasedBasicAttribute(persister, sessionFactory, attributeNumber, property.getName(), type, (new Builder()).setLazy(lazyAvailable && property.isLazy()).setInsertable(property.isInsertable()).setUpdateable(property.isUpdateable()).setValueGenerationStrategy(property.getValueGenerationStrategy()).setNullable(property.isOptional()).setDirtyCheckable(alwaysDirtyCheck || property.isUpdateable()).setVersionable(property.isOptimisticLocked()).setCascadeStyle(property.getCascadeStyle()).setFetchMode(property.getValue().getFetchMode()).createInformation());
        case 2:
            return new EntityBasedCompositionAttribute(persister, sessionFactory, attributeNumber, property.getName(), (CompositeType)type, (new Builder()).setLazy(lazyAvailable && property.isLazy()).setInsertable(property.isInsertable()).setUpdateable(property.isUpdateable()).setValueGenerationStrategy(property.getValueGenerationStrategy()).setNullable(property.isOptional()).setDirtyCheckable(alwaysDirtyCheck || property.isUpdateable()).setVersionable(property.isOptimisticLocked()).setCascadeStyle(property.getCascadeStyle()).setFetchMode(property.getValue().getFetchMode()).createInformation());
        case 3:
        case 4:
        case 5:
            return new EntityBasedAssociationAttribute(persister, sessionFactory, attributeNumber, property.getName(), (AssociationType)type, (new Builder()).setLazy(lazyAvailable && property.isLazy()).setInsertable(property.isInsertable()).setUpdateable(property.isUpdateable()).setValueGenerationStrategy(property.getValueGenerationStrategy()).setNullable(property.isOptional()).setDirtyCheckable(alwaysDirtyCheck || property.isUpdateable()).setVersionable(property.isOptimisticLocked()).setCascadeStyle(property.getCascadeStyle()).setFetchMode(property.getValue().getFetchMode()).createInformation());
        default:
            throw new HibernateException("Internal error");
        }
    }

however in hibernate 5.2, when i tried digging in deep, all i can find out is that it breaks in the following function:

Code:
public static PluralAttribute.CollectionType determineCollectionType(Class javaType) {
      if ( java.util.List.class.isAssignableFrom( javaType ) ) {
         return PluralAttribute.CollectionType.LIST;
      }
      else if ( java.util.Set.class.isAssignableFrom( javaType ) ) {
         return PluralAttribute.CollectionType.SET;
      }
      else if ( java.util.Map.class.isAssignableFrom( javaType ) ) {
         return PluralAttribute.CollectionType.MAP;
      }
      else if ( java.util.Collection.class.isAssignableFrom( javaType ) ) {
         return PluralAttribute.CollectionType.COLLECTION;
      }
      else if ( javaType.isArray() ) {
         return PluralAttribute.CollectionType.LIST;
      }
      else {
         throw new IllegalArgumentException( "Expecting collection type [" + javaType.getName() + "]" );
      }
   }

the input to the above function is org.hibernate.type.BagType since the ReporteesArr attribute is a collection kind of property but still it breaks by throwing the IllegalArguementException.

I am a bit new to this, but able to understand a bit of complexity. Can you help me out with the steps to debug this?
I specifically checked that the input values to both the functions are same.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:20 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
You need to add the entity mappings to see what you are doing. If it's according to JPA specs, then it is an issue.

You still need to provide your mappings and say what you are trying to do since I have no idea what's the context of your issue.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:59 am 

Actually those are being generated internally. I will try to get the details and post it here.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:04 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Quote:
Actually those are being generated internally. I will try to get the details and post it here.

Are you talking about entity mappings? What do you mean they are generated internaly?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:58 am 

vlad wrote:
Quote:

Are you talking about entity mappings? What do you mean they are generated internaly?

The Project in which i am using it generate the entity Mappings internally. I will try to find out a way to get the details and post it here or create a sample project with the mapping and try to reproduce it and then paste it here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:07 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

You should use our JPA test case templates to replicate it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:53 am 

vlad wrote:
You should use our JPA test case templates to replicate it.

This is the sample hbm.xml mapping file, which illustrates a simple example of self join.
Code:
<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
                                   "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">
<hibernate-mapping package="cfsuite.orm.manual.relationship.self_join">
    <class entity-name="cemployees" table="Employees">
        <tuplizer class="coldfusion.orm.hibernate.CFCTuplizer" entity-mode="dynamic-map"/>
        <id column="EmployeeID" name="EmployeeID" type="integer">
            <generator class="native"/>
        </id>
        <property column="LastName" name="LastName" type="string"/>
        <property column="FirstName" name="FirstName" type="string"/>
        <property column="Title" name="Title" type="string"/>
        <property column="TitleOfCourtesy" name="TitleOfCourtesy" type="string"/>
        <property column="BirthDate" name="BirthDate" type="date"/>
        <property column="HireDate" name="HireDate" type="date"/>
        <property column="Address" name="Address" type="string"/>
        <property column="City" name="City" type="string"/>
        <property column="Region" name="Region" type="string"/>
        <property column="PostalCode" name="PostalCode" type="string"/>
        <property column="Country" name="Country" type="string"/>
        <property column="HomePhone" name="HomePhone" type="string"/>
        <property column="Extension" name="Extension" type="string"/>
        <property column="Photo" name="Photo" type="binary"/>
        <property column="Notes" name="Notes" type="string"/>
        <many-to-one column="ReportsTo" entity-name="cemployees" name="ReportsToObj"/>
        <property column="PhotoPath" name="PhotoPath" type="string"/>
        <bag cascade="all-delete-orphan" name="ReporteesArr">
            <key column="ReportsTo"/>
            <one-to-many entity-name="cemployees"/>
        </bag>
    </class>
</hibernate-mapping>

I will also try to simulate it using your JPA Test-case template, but till then if you find any issues with the mapping, please let me know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:39 am 

I have added the test-cases using the JPA test-cases here
https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate- ... es/pull/19

For keeping the changes minimum, i have left blank/null implementations for Getters/Setters and Tupulizers.

Please run both the test-cases and verify that with Hibernate 5.2 version while building the EntityAttribute we are getting this exception:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Expecting collection type [org.hibernate.type.BagType]
at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory.determineCollectionType(AttributeFactory.java:930)
at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory$PluralAttributeMetadataImpl.<init>(AttributeFactory.java:779)
at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory$PluralAttributeMetadataImpl.<init>(AttributeFactory.java:760)
at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory.determineAttributeMetadata(AttributeFactory.java:541)
at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.AttributeFactory.buildAttribute(AttributeFactory.java:77)
at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.MetadataContext.wrapUp(MetadataContext.java:213)
at org.hibernate.metamodel.internal.MetamodelImpl.initialize(MetamodelImpl.java:220)
at org.hibernate.internal.SessionFactoryImpl.<init>(SessionFactoryImpl.java:295)
at org.hibernate.boot.internal.SessionFactoryBuilderImpl.build(SessionFactoryBuilderImpl.java:490)
at org.hibernate.cfg.Configuration.buildSessionFactory(Configuration.java:710)
at org.hibernate.testing.junit4.BaseCoreFunctionalTestCase.buildSessionFactory(BaseCoreFunctionalTestCase.java:107)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.hibernate.testing.junit4.TestClassMetadata.performCallbackInvocation(TestClassMetadata.java:200)
at org.hibernate.testing.junit4.TestClassMetadata.invokeCallback(TestClassMetadata.java:187)
at org.hibernate.testing.junit4.TestClassMetadata.performCallbacks(TestClassMetadata.java:181)
at org.hibernate.testing.junit4.TestClassMetadata.performBeforeClassCallbacks(TestClassMetadata.java:172)
at org.hibernate.testing.junit4.BeforeClassCallbackHandler.evaluate(BeforeClassCallbackHandler.java:25)
at org.hibernate.testing.junit4.AfterClassCallbackHandler.evaluate(AfterClassCallbackHandler.java:25)
at org.junit.runners.ParentRunner.run(ParentRunner.java:309)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.execute(JUnit4Provider.java:264)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.executeTestSet(JUnit4Provider.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.junit4.JUnit4Provider.invoke(JUnit4Provider.java:124)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.invokeProviderInSameClassLoader(ForkedBooter.java:200)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.runSuitesInProcess(ForkedBooter.java:153)
at org.apache.maven.surefire.booter.ForkedBooter.main(ForkedBooter.java:103)

Let me know if you need any other details. I have created a JIRA issue here https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-11819

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:35 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:12 pm 

Team, any updates on this, this is a blocker for us and is preventing us from using the latest version of Hibernate. I logged https://hibernate.atlassian.net/browse/HHH-11819 as a blocker but its priority has been changed to Major by Chris Cranford. I just wanted to check if there is something else needed to be done from my end. Are there any workarounds that i can use to temporary resolve this until the issue gets fixed?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:24 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

There are lots of issues to be fixed, and this one is only affecting your project since no one else found this use case over the past two years. You are also using a custom EntityTuplizer and dynamic-map which is definitely way beyond the typical usage.

If it's really a blocker for your team, then you can fix it and send us a Pull Request. That's the spirit of Open Source software, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:44 am 

vlad wrote:
There are lots of issues to be fixed, and this one is only affecting your project since no one else found this use case over the past two years. You are also using a custom EntityTuplizer and dynamic-map which is definitely way beyond the typical usage.

If it's really a blocker for your team, then you can fix it and send us a Pull Request. That's the spirit of Open Source software, right?

Sure, i can take a stab at this, just wanted to check if there are any related documents/forums which reflects the changes being done after 4.3 version or scanning through Jiras/code is the way to go?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:57 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I would just compare the old 4.3 code during debugging and see why it works, the switch to 5.2 and see why it does not work anymore.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ]