-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Delete Element of Collection of Superclass with Hibernate
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:58 pm 

I mapped some classes of an hierachy with strategy "TABLE PER CONCRETE CLASS", which also means my superclass Element doens't have its own table. Subclasses of Element are ElementA and ElementB, those have their own tables.

And then in an another entity, i mapped a ONE-TO-MANY Collection like this :
Code:
    @OneToMany (fetch = FetchType.EAGER, cascade = CascadeType.ALL, orphanRemoval = true)
    @JoinColumn(name="i_fit_article")
    private List<Element> elements = new ArrayList<>();

The problem is, i failed to either delete or adding elements into the List. When i tried to delete by using session.saveorUpdate(), it says
Quote:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Removing a detached instance

And when i tried to add a new Element to the list :

Quote:
com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.jdbc4.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Table Element doesnt exist.

Which is understandable, because there is no such table.

For clarity, my superclass is mapped like this.

Code:
  @Entity
    @Inheritance(strategy = InheritanceType.TABLE_PER_CLASS)
    public abstract class Element { ...

Getting elements from the database work completly okay though.
What did i do wrong here ? Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: Delete Element of Collection of Superclass - Hibernate
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:48 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

TABLE_PER_CLASSis not very efficient from a SQL statement perspective.

In your example, I guess it's because the Element class is abstract that you get some of your issues, so you should make the changes like this:

1. Change TABLE_PER_CLASS to JOINED
2. Make the Element non-abstract
3. Remove fetch = FetchType.EAGER from the @OneToMany collection since it's going to cause performance problems
4. Use a ManyToOne association in Element instead of a unidirectional @oneToMany as explained in this article and turn the association into a bidirectional one
5. Once the association is bidirectional, make sure you synchronize both ends of the association as explained in this article

Follow all these steps, and you should be fine.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]