-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hierarchical Entity mapping issue
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:28 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I have a hierarchical mapping problem. Conceptually 3 elements

1. Product Definition -- high level definition about a product . A product can be STANDARD or COMPOSITE . A standard product has a list of specifications. Where as, a composite product consists of list of 2 or more intermediate products . One product can be part of one or more COMPOSITE . Hence Product Definition may be optionally hierarchical with many-to-many association to itself. One Product (STANDARD) can be part of multiple COMPOSITE products and COMPOSITE products may have 1 or more child products.

[Constraints : I have to keep both type of products as same Entity class. Ultimately going to be published as web services. So a single definitions / schema is preferred.]

2. Product Specification -- Detailed specification about product

3. Product Composition -- if a product is constituted by 1 or more intermediate products, this maintains the relationship. Composition has some other attributes too.

I have tried to following:

Code:
class ProductDefinition {

@ID
   private Long id;

@Column(name="product_code")
   private String productCode;

@Column(name="product_type")
   private String productType; // STANDARD, COMPOSITE

@OneToMany(mappedBy="productDefinitionRef", cascade={CascadeType.ALL})
   private Set<ProductSpec> productSpecs;

@OneToMany(mappedBy="childProductRef", cascade={CascadeType.ALL})
   private Set<ProductComposition> compositionRefs; // For a standard product, lists the composites where the product belongs to

@OneToMany(mappedBy="parentProductRef", cascade={CascadeType.ALL})
   private Set<ProductComposition> childProducts;  // For a composite product, lists the proucts which are part of the composite

// ... other attributes
}

class ProductComposition {

@ID
   private Long id;

private ProductDefinition

@ManyToOne
   @JoinColumn(name="parent_prod_ref")
   private ProductDefinition parentProductRef;

@ManyToOne
   @JoinColumn(name="child_prod_ref")
   private ProductDefinition childProductRef;

// ... Other attributes
}

class ProductSpec {

@ID
   private Long id;

@ManyToOne
   @JoinColumn(name="prod_def_ref")
   private ProductDefinition productDefinitionRef;

// .. other attributes

}

Some sample data which I am expecting from the above model :

Product Definition
------------------

ID | Code | Type | productSpecs | compositionRefs | childProducts

1001 | P1 | STANDARD | [20001] | Empty | Empty
1002 | P2 | STANDARD | [20002] | [2001] | Empty
1003 | P3 | STANDARD | [20003] | [2001, 2002] | Empty
1004 | P4 | STANDARD | [20004] | Empty | Empty

2001 | B1 | COMPOSITE | Empty | Empty | [1002]

2002 | B2 | COMPOSITE | Empty | Empty | [1002, 1003]

Product Composition
-------------------

ID | parentProductRef | childProductRef

30005 | 2001 | 1002
30006 | 2002 | 1002
30007 | 2002 | 1003

Questions:
-----------
#1. Is this is an optimal way of mapping ? Please suggest if we can achieve anything better .
#2. Is this way of referencing the same composition entity twice within the product entity supported ? I am hitting some inconsistency when I see the data in the DB but before I discuss that, I want to make sure that atleast in theory this is feasible.

Post subject: Re: Hierarchical Entity mapping issue
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:23 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I think the ProductComposition should define what a product is made of, while in your case a ProductDefinition can have multiple Compositions.

So, I'll change it so that Product only contains info about product details. You can have an AbstractProduct with two child entities: StandardProduct and CompositeProduct. StandardProduct only defines one product specification while CompositeProduct can take a List of Product definitions.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:02 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Thanks Vlad for responding. I shall try to implement your suggestion. Before I do that, let me describe the issue I am facing while trying to persist some data using the mapping I described.

I have tried to persist some sample data into mongo. I tried to add 2 STANDARD products and one COMPOSITE product ( id 7980 ), which comprises of only one STANDARD product (id 7975).

Code:
> db.ut_product_definitions.find()
{ "_id" : NumberLong(7971), "product_type" : "STANDRD", "product_code" : "PROD_3fe6530f4fe3e223", "productSpecs" : [ NumberLong(7973), NumberLong(7972) ] }
{ "_id" : NumberLong(7975), "product_type" : "STANDRD", "product_code" : "PROD_3fb59a336d2663b8", "productSpecs" : [ NumberLong(7977), NumberLong(7976) ], "childProducts" : [ NumberLong(7980) ] }
{ "_id" : NumberLong(7979), "product_type" : "COMPOSITE", "product_code" : "PROD_3fee5ee0bc59092b", "childProducts" : [ NumberLong(7980) ] }
>

> db.ut_product_compositions.find()
{ "_id" : NumberLong(7980), "parent_prod_ref" : NumberLong(7979), "child_prod_ref" : NumberLong(7975) }
>

Notice that in case of STANDARD product (product id 7975) the "childProducts" should be empty and "compositionRefs" should have a value pointing to composition with id 7980. I cross checked multiple times that I have set the compositionRefs for the standard product with id 7975. However when data is persisted, for some reasons, it only affects childProducts and not compositionRefs.

I feel even after implementing your suggestions I might run into this issue, while I try to keep track of the list of composite products where a standard product belongs to.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:39 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Maybe we should move this thread to the OGM forum. I assumed you were using a RDBMS.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]