-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Country of Origin?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:27 pm 

I am trying to determine the Country of Origin of several Hibernate packages (listed below), in order to determine whether they are in compliance with the U. S. Trade Agreements Act (TAA). TAA defines the Country of Origin as the country where the software is built--where final compilation occurs. There is a LONG list of countries that are TAA-approved.

Where can I find the country or countries where the JARs for the following Hibernate packages are built? Note that we are only interested in the country(ies)--we do NOT need information about specific servers or locations.

Hibernate (commons-annotations) 3.2.0.Final
Hibernate (core) 3.6.10.Final
Hibernate (jpa-2.0-api) 1.0.0.Final, 1.0.1.Final
Hibernate (validator) 4.0.2.GA

Thanks for any information or pointers to other contacts,
Richard

Post subject: Re: Country of Origin?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:36 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I guess you should contact a layer which will know better what the Country of Origin is in regards to an open source project.

Is it related to the developer location?
Is it the place where the JARs were generated?

Hibernate project belongs to JBoss.

Do all JBoss products share the same Country of Origin?

Only a lawyer can answer such questions.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:55 pm 

The definition we've been told to use is the location where the JARs are generated. So that is all we're trying to determine for the open source software on our list. We're thinking this is a simpler question than asking for some kind of legal ruling.

Also, we're only interested in the four packages in my original post. Do you know of any contact that can tell us where (in what country or countries) these Hibernate JARs are generated? I initially directed this question to Red Hat, but they advised me that this forum was the better place to ask.

-Richard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:00 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I'll forward this question to our Team Leader. Maybe he knows better the country where the artefacts are generated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:43 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Where artifacts are built depends on who did the release build since we (generally) do these on our individual computers. I'm not going to research back to see who did which specific release of those specific artifacts. But you certainly can. Probably the most straightforward approach would be to look at the tags in the SCM to see who created them. These are very old versions you list, which harken back to us using Subversion before our move to git and GitHub, so you'd have to dig in those Subversion repos.

Or, if a general answer will suffice - generally the country of original will be the US, but some are produced in European countries as well especially UK, Germany, Italy and France.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]