-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: EJB and JTA sync problems between process
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:24 am 

Hi,
I work at a complex web application that use EJB and Hibernate on JBoss. I use singleton EntityManagerFactory, and share it between all running process using Entity Manager instance.

The problem occurs when in a struct action is called an update on entity, and before action ends another process read and update same object.
I have that second process (it's a web service called from third-parts) read an old value and not the updated one in the action.

I know that data become persistent on database only after action end its work and control come back to user. Unfortunately this action after Entity Manager merge execution, it must call a web service that sometimes return after 10s . Meanwhile other process have wrong value if read this object.

I need that merge in first process become instantly persistent, or, I need that other process read right value.
I don't know if the second level cache is working and has effect in this scenario.

A solution is to make an update using JDBC instead Hibernate, but I would like a clean solution to do it.

a brief outline

t0 = start action ;t1= action find and merge entity; t2= start call to web service; t6= web service return; tend = end action ;
t3= start second process ; t4= find and merge entity; t5=end second process

t0 t1 t2 t3 t4 t5 t6 tend
|---------------|-------|------------------------------|-------|
|-----|----|

I need that at t3 the value read is that one merged at t2.

This is my persistence.xml
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<persistence version="1.0" xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence/persistence_1_0.xsd">
  <persistence-unit name="VisiaIntegrazione_EJB" transaction-type="JTA">
    <provider>org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence</provider>
    <jta-data-source>java:/ds/VisiaIntegrazioneDS</jta-data-source>
    <class>.....entity.ApplicationServer</class>
    <class>.....entity.Devices</class>
    <exclude-unlisted-classes>false</exclude-unlisted-classes>
    <properties>
      <property name="hibernate.dialect" value="org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLInnoDBDialect"/>
      <!-- Caching properties -->
      <property name="hibernate.cache.use_second_level_cache" value="true"/>
      <!--<property name="hibernate.cache.provider_class" value="net.sf.ehcache.hibernate.SingletonEhCacheProvider" />-->
      <property name="net.sf.ehcache.configurationResourceName" value="ehcache.xml"/>
      <!--<property name="hibernate.cache.provider_class" value="org.hibernate.cache.NoCacheProvider"/>-->
      <!--<property name="hibernate.cache.provider_class" value="org.hibernate.cache.EhCacheProvider" />-->
      <property name="hibernate.cache.use_query_cache" value="true"/>
      <property name="hibernate.cache.region.factory_class" value="net.sf.ehcache.hibernate.SingletonEhCacheRegionFactory"/>
      <property name="hibernate.transaction.manager_lookup_class" value="org.hibernate.transaction.JBossTransactionManagerLookup"/>
      <property name="hibernate.max_fetch_depth" value="4"/>
   <!-- hibernate.generate_statistics a true produce informazioni su hibernate da loggare -->
      <property name="hibernate.generate_statistics" value="true"/>

</properties>
  </persistence-unit>
</persistence>

this is an example of Entity Manager update
Code:
EntityManager em = EntityMan.getEMF().createEntityManager();

try {

em.find(Devices.class, device.getId());
            em.merge(device);
            em.flush();
        } catch (Exception e) {
            logger.debug(e.getMessage());
            e.printStackTrace();
        }

Post subject: Re: EJB and JTA sync problems between process
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:37 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

There are two ways to prevent lost updates:

- either you detect them using optimistic locking
- or you avoid them using pessimistic locking

Reading the last updated value using a separate connection is not really a solution. Imagine that even after you just read the value, a process can still update it, therefore you are using a stale data anyway. The only way to guarantee that you don;t miss an update is to use optimistic or pessimistic locking.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]