-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Queyr with lock mode PESSIMISTIC_WRITE
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:30 am 

What I need is to lock queried entities and refresh them so that I don't miss any updates up to acquiring lock.

When querying with PESSIMISTIC_WRITE Hibernate still utilizes persistence context cache to retrieve the entities instead of always utilizing persistence context, is that expected? It seems counter intuitive to me and it's not easy to workaround.

Post subject: Re: Queyr with lock mode PESSIMISTIC_WRITE
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:21 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

If you don't want to miss any update, you have to use optimistic locking instead.

PESSIMISTIC_WRITE takes a look on the underlying database row, even if the entity is attached to the currently running Persistence Context.

For this reason, I don't understand what is your actual problem with having entities managed even if the database row was locked.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:50 am 

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
If you don't want to miss any update, you have to use optimistic locking instead.

PESSIMISTIC_WRITE takes a look on the underlying database row, even if the entity is attached to the currently running Persistence Context.

For this reason, I don't understand what is your actual problem with having entities managed even if the database row was locked.

Let me back up a little bit. If I take Hibernate out of the picture and want to lock a database row and possibly update it. Lets say we have Person table. Then I would do the following:
1. SELECT p.id, p.bankBalance FROM Person p FOR UPDATE
2. Now I know nobody can update p.bankBalance because I hold a write lock and I also know that I have up to date value of bankBalance, because I issued FOR UPDATE (which means database will not retrieve value under repeatable read).

Now if I use Hibernate and try to use the above pattern what happens is:
1. I issue a query with PESSIMISTIC_WRITE. Hibernate correctly translates this to "SELECT p.id, p.bankBalance FROM Person p FOR UPDATE"
2. The row is locked, however Hibernate will NOT refresh the entity from the result set that is retrieved by (1). Instead, it will use Person entity that may have been loaded earlier in the unti of work (if such exists in persistence context)

What I am getting at is, that I think that at least PESSIMISTIC_WRITE should force Hibernate to refresh the result list. What do you think?

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:29 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Your assumptions go against the application-level repeatable reads guarantees. Hibernate will always return the currently managed entity, no matter if you lock it or not. That is desirable because it allows you to prevent lost updates.

However, you can still achieve what you want by manually refreshing the entity after you acquired the lock.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:34 am 

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
Your assumptions go against the application-level repeatable reads guarantees. Hibernate will always return the currently managed entity, no matter if you lock it or not. That is desirable because it allows you to prevent lost updates.

However, you can still achieve what you want by manually refreshing the entity after you acquired the lock.

Thank you for your patience and detailed response, but I think I understand your point and I still disagree. We do actually get lost updates (scenario below). I believe current Hibernate behavior actually makes it easier to run into lost update when you are using PESSIMISTIC locking. I don't think that application level repeatable read can avoid lost update. FWIW while Postgres database level repeatable read does avoid lost update, MySQL's repeatable read isolation level doesn't prevent lost updates.

My expectation does go against application level repeatable reads guarantees, but since I am locking the entity with PESSIMISTIC_WRITE, it makes sense to NOT have application level repeatable read guarantee when querying, but read the actual value from the database cell (MySQL operates under the same assumption. It does provided database level repeatable read but breaks it when issuing SELECT FOR UPDATE, for this very reason - that the row is locked for this transaction).

As you mentioned in the blog. " If there would be only one database transaction at any time then all operations would be executed sequentially." When using PESSIMISTIC_WRITE, there will be only one database transaction, because you are locking the entity with PESSIMISTIC_WRITE and you need the current value at the time of acquiring lock in order to avoid lost updates.

This is the scenario that causes lost updates for us:
1. Transaction T1 loads Person p1
2. Transaction T2 loads Person p2
3. T2 loads value of p2.bankBalance=VAL1. This entity is added to persistence context
4. T1 loads value of p1.bankBalance=VAL1, locks the entity and updates it to a new value VAL3, successfully commits transaction.
5. T2 gets lock using PESSIMISTIC_WRITE. Now hibernate correctly issues SELECT FOR UPDATE which loads VAL3 for the balance from the database (not parsing from result set into entity yet). However because of application-level repeatable read, hibernate won't use this value that it retrieved from the database, instead it will use p2.bankBalance which is old VAL1
6. T2 updates p2.bankBalance, e.g. by increasing it by integer 10. Now p2.bankBalance = VAL1+10
7. T2 successfully commits. But the update (4) is lost

I understand that this scenario can be prevented by OPTIMISTIC LOCKING. In this particular case though we would prefer some kind of PESSIMISTIC LOCKING. With current Hibernate behavior the only way to avoid the scenario above is to refresh EVERY entity that is retrieved by the query (5) or by clearing persistence context before acquiring the lock.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:20 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Actually, you are wrong with MySQL. The Repeatable Read isolation level allows lost updates. Try this test on GitHub and see the results.

There are only two choices:

- you either use optimistic locking to detect any conflict
- you prevent conflicts with pessimistic locking

If you don't want to use optimistic locking, you'll have to acquire a lock on p1 and p2 every time you load them from DB, in the 1. and 2. operations.
However, you application is not going to scale very well because of locks introduce a serialization portion in your program execution.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:54 am 

mihalcea_vlad wrote:
Actually, you are wrong with MySQL. The Repeatable Read isolation level allows lost updates. Try this test on GitHub and see the results.

There are only two choices:

- you either use optimistic locking to detect any conflict
- you prevent conflicts with pessimistic locking

If you don't want to use optimistic locking, you'll have to acquire a lock on p1 and p2 every time you load them from DB, in the 1. and 2. operations.
However, you application is not going to scale very well because of locks introduce a serialization portion in your program execution.

Yes thats what I said - Mysql doesn't prevent lost updates. In other words it allows lost updates...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]