-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: HHH000206 why and when
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:01 am 

A possibly naive question by a first-time user: how can I get Hibernate to find "hibernate.properties"?
I placed it almost everywhere, first of all in the directory specified by java property "user.dir", then I added entries to "java.class.path" property, with no avail, finally I put that file in directories from PATH and CLASSPATH environment variables.
In documentation there is a reference to java classpath, however "hibernate.properties" is not a jar, after all.
Could anyone provide more information or a working example?
I understand it is not a mandatory file, but if I can't have Hibernate finding it, I believe to be lacking some serious knowledge.
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: HHH000206 why and when
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:37 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

The easiest way is to embed it in your jar or just add it in src/main/resources if you're using Maven

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:58 am 

Yes, I understand. In the meantime I downloaded version 4.3.11 (the site where I am working is using 4.3.10).
A look at the source code showed that ConfigHelper actually invokes a ClassLoader.
Since there is a fallback strategy in the same method, one may wonder why the definition of a property file outside any jar is not supported.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:55 pm 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

Hibernate tries to locate it like this:

Code:
InputStream stream = ConfigHelper.getResourceAsStream( "/hibernate.properties" );

So the file can be located only if it's in the root of the current classpath, either in a jar or externally.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]