-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: NamedEntityGraph subgraph does not fetch subclass associatio
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:31 pm 

Consider the following JPA entity structure:

Code:
@Entity
@Inheritance(strategy = TABLE_PER_CLASS)
public abstract class Case {
   @ManyToOne(fetch = LAZY)
   private Partner p;
}

@Entity
public class SpecialCase extends Case {
}

@Entity
@Inheritance(strategy = SINGLE_TABLE)
public abstract class Partner {
}

@Entity
public class Person extends Partner {
   @ElementCollection(fetch = LAZY)
   private final List<A> as = new ArrayList<>();

@OneToMany(fetch = LAZY)
   private final List<B> bs = new ArrayList<>();
}

@Entity
public class Company extends Partner {
   @Embedded
   private C c;

@OneToOne(fetch = LAZY)
   private D d;
}

I want to create a query that returns a subset of SpecialCases such that the Partner field `p` from its super class Case is fetched in a polymorph way (Persons and Companies) while eagerly. In addition, for a Person, I want to fetch the `as` and `bs` eagerly, while for a Company, I want to fetch `d` eagerly (`c` doesn't matter here). Note that I don't want to achieve that by using fetch type EAGER. Instead, I have created to following named EntityGraph that is placed on the SpecialCase entity:

Code:
@NamedEntityGraph(
   name = "SpecialCaseEG",
   attributeNodes = {
      @NamedAttributeNode(value = "p", subgraph = "PartnerEG")
   },
   subgraphs = {
      @NamedSubgraph(name = "PartnerEG", attributeNodes = {})
   },
   subclassSubgraphs = {
      @NamedSubgraph(name = "PartnerEG", type = Person.class, attributeNodes = { @NamedAttributeNode("as"), @NamedAttributeNode("bs") }),
      @NamedSubgraph(name = "PartnerEG", type = Company.class, attributeNodes = { @NamedAttributeNode("c") })
   }
)

My first question is whether the entity graph is specified correctly? In particular, I could not find any references on how to use `subclassSubgraphs` on the net except http://stackoverflow.com/questions/29603695/jpa-2-1-namedsubgraph-in-hibernate-ignoring-subclasses.

Anyway, using Hibernate 5.0.7, Wildly 10, and `org.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQL94Dialect`, it does not work as intended: in a Database that contains SpecialCases with Persons only, the `as`and `bs` are lazy lists that are not eagerly loaded. The only way I was able to achieve eager loading of them was to set their fetch type to EAGER with the downside that this creates the infamous n+1 select problem.

I'm not sure whether the entity graph is wrong, whether what I want to achieve is not possible at all using an entity graph, or whether there is there a bug in Hibernate?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: NamedEntityGraph subgraph does not fetch subclass associatio
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:10 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

I think it may be related to this issue.

Please provide a test case to replicate it. You can use the JPA unit test templates for this task.

Post subject: Re: NamedEntityGraph subgraph does not fetch subclass associatio
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:08 am 

I had to give up on that issue due to lack of time. I still believe there is an issue somewhere in Hibernate's EntityGraph handling.

I've "solved" it by pulling the `as` and `bs` up from Person into Partner.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]