-->
These old forums are deprecated now and set to read-only. We are waiting for you on our new forums!
More modern, Discourse-based and with GitHub/Google/Twitter authentication built-in.

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Is this type of query possible with Hibernate?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:56 pm 

Hello!
I would really appreciate if you guys can give me a hand on this one... I've been struggling for days..
I have two objects (case and tag) mapped bidirectionally ManyToMany.

Case
- caseId
- caseName

(Link table) - links caseId and tagId in ManytoMany fashion

Tag
- tagId
- tagName

Code:
Records:        Link                       Tags:
ID    Case       caseId  tagId        tagId  tagName
1    Case1       1         2               1       TagA
2    Case2       1         1               2       TagB
                    2         1             

I want to make a query to return cases that match to BOTH TagA and TagB

I have done:
Code:
query = "FROM Case AS c INNER JOIN Tag AS t WHERE t.tagName = 'TagA' AND t.tagName = 'TagB'"

However this doesn't return any records.
In MySQL i would need to inner join twice to make this work:
Code:
"FROM Case AS c INNER JOIN Tag AS t1 INNER JOIN Tag AS t2 WHERE t.tagName = 'TagA' AND t2.tagName = 'TagB'"

Is there an eloquent solution in Hibernate? (Hibernate doesn't allow double inner joins as far as i know)
Right now I just load all records for TagA and TagB, and loop through them to make sure they are in both.

Thank you so much!

Post subject: Re: Is this type of query possible with Hibernate?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:39 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

Since it is a bidirectional association, I presume you might be having Tag class mapped something like
Code:
@ManyToMany List<Tag> tags    = new ArrayList<>();
(with field name tags) in your Case class.

With that assumption, you can try the below query that does inner join on Tag class twice.

Code:
query = "select c FROM Case AS c INNER JOIN c.tags AS t1 INNER JOIN c.tags t2 WHERE t1.tagName = 'TagA' AND t2.tagName = 'TagB'"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:23 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

It doesn't work because you need to use an OR and not an AND.
It doesn't make any sense to use an AND against the same filtering criteria because a tag row cannot have a name that's both 'TagA' and 'TagB'.

Instead of:

Code:
query = "FROM Case AS c INNER JOIN Tag AS t WHERE t.tagName = 'TagA' AND t.tagName = 'TagB'"

you should have:

Code:
query = "FROM Case AS c INNER JOIN Tag AS t WHERE t.tagName = 'TagA' OR t.tagName = 'TagB'"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:54 am 
Beginner
Beginner

It is true that
mihalcea_vlad wrote:
It doesn't make any sense to use an AND against the same filtering criteria because a tag row cannot have a name that's both 'TagA' and 'TagB'.

But since Case & Tag are having many-to-many association, the way I understood Arrowx8 intent is- looking for an HQL query that fetches the Case object that is associated with two Tags having tag names as TagA and TagB.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:18 am 
Hibernate Team
Hibernate Team

But then an OR should work and probably use a DISTINCT to filter same same `Case` entity references.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:51 pm 

Hi there,

Thank you very much for the replies.

MadhusudanaSunnapu: As far as I am aware (unless I tested this wrong), you can't call Join twice on the same table in hibernate, which is where the problem comes from.

mihalcea_vlad: What you propose will get all cases with Tag A Or Tag B. I need cases to be BOTH tagged TagA and TagB (i.e. if Case is mapped to TagA and also mapped to TagB). I am not sure how filtering distinct will fix this issue... can you explain please?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:10 pm 
Beginner
Beginner

I think joining on same table twice is possible with Hibernate. In fact, in my case I have similar domain model like yours wherein, I have Place and Tags objects (and tables) mapped as many-to-many bidirectional with places_tag as association table.

To retrieve Place object that is associated with both TagA and TagB, I have used the following HQL that does an inner join on the same table twice and able to get the right Place object.
Code:
Place place =  (Place) session.createQuery("select p from Place p inner join p.tags t1 inner join p.tags t2 where t1.name=:tag1 and t2.name=:tag2").setString("tag1", tag1).setString("tag2", tag2).uniqueResult();

and this HQL resulted in following SQL.
Code:
Query:["select place0_.id as id1_2_, place0_.name as name2_2_ from place place0_ inner join tag_place tags1_ on place0_.id=tags1_.places_id inner join tag tag2_ on tags1_.tags_id=tag2_.id inner join tag_place tags3_ on place0_.id=tags3_.places_id inner join tag tag4_ on tags3_.tags_id=tag4_.id where tag2_.name=? and tag4_.name=?"]

With your domain model, assuming Tag class is mapped as List<Tag> as below,
Code:
@ManyToMany List<Tag> tags    = new ArrayList<>();

the HQL would translate to
Code:
query = "select c FROM Case AS c INNER JOIN c.tags AS t1 INNER JOIN c.tags t2 WHERE t1.tagName = 'TagA' AND t2.tagName = 'TagB'"

This does does an inner join twice on c.tags. or Did I misinterpret your question?

Last edited by MadhusudanaSunnapu on Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:24 pm 

Thanks, i'll give it another try!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]